Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default want to get my wife a gun for CC

My wife should be getting her LTCF in the next few weeks, I want to get her a handgun, need some advice.
    She's small, bout 100 lbs and bout 4'9. I don't want her to know so i can't bring her to try out different guns, she won't go anyway. it's really really hard for her to rack any of my slide so I was leaning towards a revolver.

maybe something even an sub caliber 32 or 25acp in a compact or even a bersa 380. I might even considered maybe a 22lr walter or sig mosquito

I had to force her to get her LTCF, and she said she didn't want a gun, but i figured if i get something she can shoot she might eventually carry. she's only been to the range with me once, and a case fell in her shirt so that was that.

any recommendation would help.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: want to get my wife a gun for CC

About a S&W 380 bodyguard? Very nice, small and fun. It has a integrated laser also all for about $ 375 on line.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(York County)

Well I would have to agree with you that a revolver would be a good idea. Unfortunately I don't know jack about revolvers. I hope you are able to get her back out to the range for some more shooting, if she is going to be carrying. I am not implying that she is a bad shot, just that she gets to be better then she may enjoy it more.

Unfortunately one thing I have come to realize is that if someone does not want to shoot, then it is hard to get them to have fun when they are there. If they have already made up their mind it may be difficult.

Best of luck sir.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Montgomery County)

Exclamation Re: want to get my wife a gun for CC

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    any recommendation would help.
    Yeah: Quit forcing her to do shit that she doesn't want to do.

we're doing baby steps. i convinced her to get LTCF by telling her that i might need her to transport my gun home one day. this took about a year before she filled out the app. now that she'll be getting her LTCF i figure i get her a gun to shoot and carry. my plan of attack is. we just had a baby, and when it gets warm i suspect that she'll be taking walks with with the baby and our dog. that's when i'll quilt her bout not protecting our baby. "honey you have a gun, you have your licence, why won't you just bring the gun with you so i'll feel better about it." i figure she'll say, "but i don't know how to use it." then hopefully we'll be having date nights at the range.

SW bodyguard, 38, 2in barrel, DAO, i don't know if she'll be able to shoot that.

I have an lcp, not fun to shoot, i still can't put good groups with that gun.

and if all this fail the worst is that i'll have another gun in my collection.
    Last edited by dunsho; January 26th, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

(York County)

Sounds like a decent idea. Don't forget if she does something for you, like going to the range, do something for her. Sort of like a positive reinforcement hahaha.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Butler County)

Try out a Kahr PM9. They say DAO but it has a striker fired feel to the trigger. Not much larger than an LCP or P3AT but it's a 9mm and MUCH smoother shooting.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Try out a Kahr PM9. They say DAO but it has a striker fired feel to the trigger. Not much larger than an LCP or P3AT but it's a 9mm and MUCH smoother shooting.
    my buddy has that, i didn't even think of it. it's gonna be racking the slide that she might have a problem with. I'll have him bring it out next time. thanks.

I'd never suggest buying a gun for someone who has never shot it. I'd take her to the range and have her shoot some "candidates." Unless you want her to hate shooting, I'd never start with a tiny .380 or a lightweight snubby. Neither is a gun most of us would want to shoot for very long -- though I may add an LCR to my collection one of these days. I was sure of what I wanted for my first gun -- until I rented one and tried it. Tried a couple of others and found something else that I've been very happy with.

(Allegheny County)

I'd take her to the range and rent some stuff...Without being forceful about it.

Then find out what she likes before buying anything.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast