Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PFA please help

(Philadelphia County)

Default PFA please help

ok so my brother got a PFA against him and i live with him and on the paper it says he can not have any firearms in the house but he doesnt own any but i live with him and he said i had to get rid of mines too mines are at my friends house does this only go for him or does it go for me too?

(Centre County)

Default Re: PFA please help

IANAL but the PFA is against him, not you. As long as he has absolutely no access to the guns (you keep them locked in a safe that only you have the key or combination), then there shouldn't be a problem.

However, it also depends on the wording of the PFA. If the house is his and the PFA says "no guns in the house", not "Mr. XYZ cannot have guns in the house", then even if you keep them locked up, it could possibly be construed by the court that even though the guns are yours, not his, there are guns in the house and he could be held in contempt or whatever.

I am sure that there are others that have much more knowledge on this subject that will weigh in with their opinions.

Bottom line, to help your brother, you might want to keep them stored somewhere else for the time being until you get a an OFFICIAL answer to your question.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bradford County)

I would consider it like a temporary probation, in that even though it only says "HIM" on the order, it will/could possibly effect others in his house that have things, it just makes for a mess of things if it is brought up or pushed. best advise would to be, store them at a friends house till your brother moves out or the PFA is ended and resolved.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    IANAL but the PFA is against him, not you. As long as he has absolutely no access to the guns (you keep them locked in a safe that only you have the key or combination), then there shouldn't be a problem.

However, it also depends on the wording of the PFA. If the house is his and the PFA says "no guns in the house", not "Mr. XYZ cannot have guns in the house", then even if you keep them locked up, it could possibly be construed by the court that even though the guns are yours, not his, there are guns in the house and he could be held in contempt or whatever.

I am sure that there are others that have much more knowledge on this subject that will weigh in with their opinions.

Bottom line, to help your brother, you might want to keep them stored somewhere else for the time being until you get a an OFFICIAL answer to your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    I would consider it like a temporary probation, in that even though it only says "HIM" on the order, it will/could possibly effect others in his house that have things, it just makes for a mess of things if it is brought up or pushed. best advise would to be, store them at a friends house till your brother moves out or the PFA is ended and resolved.
    Just want to add...if you have pistols stored at your friends house I hope he has a LTCF. Otherwise you can't legally leave them with him.