Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Yugo M74 Gun kit

Just a few questions about gun kits:

1. Do you need major gunsmithing skills to put one together?
    2. Why are parts kits so much cheaper than the buying the firearm intact?
    3. Are all if not most parts included or will I have to search and buy parts that are missing?

Default Re: Yugo M74 Gun kit

Quote Originally Posted by TB215 View Post

3. Are all if not most parts included or will I have to search and buy parts that are missing?
    Wrong place to be asking detailed questions. Try http://www.theakforum.net/ It's worth registering for the info.

(Allegheny County)

+1 great forum with great info!
    MORDENTE MEUM

+2
    But I don't see why someone here can't answer it for you.
    Generally you need a receiver for AK's, and that is as much as I know.
    I do think it involves a moderate level of skill.
    But I'm curious to know too so thats why I threw my $.02 in
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=TB215;1473941]Just a few questions about gun kits:

No not major skills, you will nees some specific tools i.e. something to press the rivets, gauges so set the head space and so forth

There is no receiver, look at an aditional 70 bucks for a stamped one like on the m70 the milled receivers are much more. Also you will have to buy US compliance parts such as Hammer,Sear,Trigger,Pistol and Barrel. Or other combo of parts to come up with the proper number of US parts.

Most kits today do not have a barrel so since you need to buy one you might as well make it one of your US parts Look at about 70 to 120 bucks for a barrelThat being said the reason I have built 3 and am working on a 4th when I could buy one at a big box store for much less is the fact I can make a model that the box stores dont sell i.e. my Maddi I can make sure I have the proper barrel as on my Tantal (I found a kit with the factory barrel) and the I MADE IT factor when people ask where you got it i.e. My AB70 Yugo underfolder and the AKM Pistol I'm working on now

I hope that answere your question

Yes I will build more but not to save money. In the long run you will spend more building it, but by building it you get exactly what you want.

(Delaware County)

[QUOTE=rifleshooter2;1474575]
    Quote Originally Posted by TB215 View Post

No not major skills, you will nees some specific tools i.e. something to press the rivets, gauges so set the head space and so forth

There is no receiver, look at an aditional 70 bucks for a stamped one like on the m70 the milled receivers are much more. Also you will have to buy US compliance parts such as Hammer,Sear,Trigger,Pistol and Barrel. Or other combo of parts to come up with the proper number of US parts.

Most kits today do not have a barrel so since you need to buy one you might as well make it one of your US parts Look at about 70 to 120 bucks for a barrelThat being said the reason I have built 3 and am working on a 4th when I could buy one at a big box store for much less is the fact I can make a model that the box stores dont sell i.e. my Maddi I can make sure I have the proper barrel as on my Tantal (I found a kit with the factory barrel) and the I MADE IT factor when people ask where you got it i.e. My AB70 Yugo underfolder and the AKM Pistol I'm working on now

I hope that answered your question

Yes I will build more but not to save money. In the long run you will spend more building it, but by building it you get exactly what you want.
    That's about it. The kits aren't that much cheaper, if any, than a Century WASR-10, at least when you factor in the barrel, receiver, refinishing, not to mention the tools.

If you buy a new barrel, you've got to press the barrel into the trunnion (not all barrels fit all trunnions, BTW), and press on the gas block and front sight tower on, which requires something like a 12-ton H-frame press, which is not an insignificant piece of equipment. An angle grinder and air hammer are handy for demilling the kits. Maybe a spot welder for installing the rails.

It's not as easy as working on an AR with a torque wrench, receiver block, pin punches and a vise. Fairly simple, but requires tools that you won't find in every toolbox or garage workshop...
    Last edited by Suburban; January 25th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Indiana County)

Default Yugo M74 Gun kit

I was wondering where can i acquire a AB70 Yugo underfolder or the whole kit for the yugo m74 gun kit ? to TB215! dam you built 3 and working on 4 i really want one please help me out!

thank you

(Butler County)

It's cheaper to buy a WASR. Don't get me wrong, if you want to build one, build one. I think it would be fun. I may do it some day for shits and giggles. If you're serious look here. http://ak-builder.com/index.php