Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W 386 XL Hunter

I was wondering if anyone has handled one of these yet. Ive look around as much as I can, but can't find anything about it besides the specs. No shops near me have it, and neither does Basspro or Cabelas. I know it boils down to a lighter version of the 686 P, but didnt know if anyone here had first hand experience. Any info would be great. thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W 386 XL Hunter

The Handgunner in Topton had one in the case last week.

I carry a 386 mountain lite on a daily basis. My mountain lite has a 3 inch barrel and a titanium cylinder (the Hunter has a 6 inch barrel and stainless cylinder) and makes for a 20 ounce 7 shot .357 mag carry gun, which I like.

The 386 is a great format for a revolver and the barrel length will be a factor in what you plan on using the weapon for. The Hunter may not be the ideal choice for a defense weapon, yet it would be a fantastic range gun and could take the occasional white tail.

What do you want the 386 to do? What are your revolver aspirations?
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Thanks for the info! It will be a range gun/occasional hunting gun. It will not be used as a home defense/daily carry for me, unless something unforeseen would happen.

I was going to go with the 686, but i figured if i could save some weight with this for basically the same price, it would be worth it. I still cant believe BassPro and Cabelas dont get them, or didnt even hear of them. I know they are newer, but still. I might have to call the Handgunner to see if they have it in stock still because I would want to handle one before I would pull the trigger (pun intended) and purchase one.

If you come across any other info, please let me know!

Went to Handgunner this past week and picked up my 386. They were great guys to work with!! Thanks for the info Steve. Here's one crappy cameraphone pic. More to follow if you guys want. Im planning on shooting it next weekend to get the feel for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Cumberland County)

Very nice. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Wasnt able to take it to the range yesterday, but did snap some more pics. Going to the range this weekend, so my range report will follow after that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Took it to the range yesterday and shot about 120 rounds. Stayed at 10 yards for the most part just to get the feel of it. I know it will take me a lot of practice to get consistent with it, but I had a general question. Are s&w revolvers pretty accurate out of the box, or do you guys find they need slight adjustments to get them sighted in perfectly? I felt like mine was shooting a little low out of the box. I know 90% of the accuracy problem is just me and handling a new gun, but I wasn't sure how most adjustible sighted relvolvers shoot out of the box. I'm going again next weekend, and plan to go as much as possible, but figured I would see what you all have seen with your new revolvers. Thanks!

(Lebanon County)

depends what grain bullet weight you were firing and what grain bullet it was "sighted" with. there is quite the variety to pick from in the 357 flavor.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

Faster bullets (which are also usually lighter) will shoot lower than bullets that are slower (which are also usually heavier). The reason for this is the time the projectile spends in the barrel. A slower bullet will spend more time in the barrel, allowing the effects of recoil to raise the point of aim when the projectile actually leaves the barrel.

Smith and Wesson revolvers are usually about close when they leave the factory, yet the test fire guys only put 5 or six rounds through the pieces for a quality check.

Can I ask what kind of ammo you were shooting at the range? Were you shooting single or double action? Do you have much experience with revolvers?
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Steve - i was using 130 grain .38 special FMJ. I picked up a few boxes when i bought the gun. I dont have much experience with revolvers, so i figured it was mostly my error with aiming, but just wanted to confirm. I need to take it to the range a lot more to work out the kinks and get myself more confortable and accurate. Another quick question. If aiming at the bullseye, and you have the front sight lined up perfectly in the back sight, should the spot you want to hit be directly above the front sight, or right behind it (which means you wouldnt be able to directly see it). Like i had said, I have shot revolvers in the past, but want to cover all my basis so i dont get any bad habits!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast