Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default PA hunter allowed to hunt in WVA carry rifle across border?

I was just wondering if a PA resident can hunt in WVA without having to ship his rifle to an FFL in WVA?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: PA hunter allowed to hunt in WVA carry rifle across border?

Quote Originally Posted by milsurprifleman View Post
    I was just wondering if a PA resident can hunt in WVA without having to ship his rifle to an FFL in WVA?
    Yes, I'm not sure what gave you the impression you have to ship a rifle to an FFL when traveling across state lines. You can take your rifle/handgun on to most commercial airlines and travel across state lines.

I'll be honest I've always been pretty confused as to what you can and can't do as far as traveling across state lines with a firearm, so I just don't do it.

Most likely because everyone you ask has a different answer and they all know their 100% correct.

(Chester County)

As long as you can legally possess and transport it in your state of origin and destination, obey the respective laws of those two states while within each and follow the interstate transport rules (18 USC 926A) for any intervening state(s) - yes you can take your firearm without resorting to shipping to an FFL.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

There is no situation where you would have to ship your gun to a FFL. Even if you went to Alaska by driving, you can get permits to take certain legal guns across Canadian soil. And if you didn't want to do that(lots of paperwork), you could ship the guns to YOURSELF at the motel or residence which you were staying at.

FFL's are for transferring ownership of a gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!

Is it the same for PA to NJ?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    As long as you can legally possess and transport it in your state of origin and destination, obey the respective laws of those two states while within each and follow the interstate transport rules (18 USC 926A) for any intervening state(s) - yes you can take your firearm without resorting to shipping to an FFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieTom View Post
    Yes - same for any two states.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieTom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Yes - same for any two states.
    In theory it’s supposed to work that way, in reality going into New Jersey is like going into another country. As proof look at several recent convictions against gun owners with no criminal intent have been aggressively prosecuted in NJ for allegedly breaking a gun control law written to provide additional punishment to criminals that mis use firearms in commission of other crimes.

To the original poster make sure your keep your ammunition in a separate container from your unloaded cased firearm locked where its not accessible from drivers compartment and you should be good to go using the interstate transportation on firearms almost anywhere in the country. Also research the firearm laws of any state you are planning in going through, as this is just a general guide line.

WV unlikly PA is a very gun friendly state.

Just don’t have hollow points or any high capacity magazines especially if you travel or stopping in NJ, unless you like living on the wild side.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    In theory it’s supposed to work that way, in reality going into New Jersey is like going into another country. As proof look at several recent convictions against gun owners with no criminal intent have been aggressively prosecuted in NJ for allegedly breaking a gun control law written to provide additional punishment to criminals that mis use firearms in commission of other crimes.

To the original poster make sure your keep your ammunition in a separate container from your unloaded cased firearm locked where its not accessible from drivers compartment and you should be good to go using the interstate transportation on firearms almost anywhere in the country. Also research the firearm laws of any state you are planning in going through, as this is just a general guide line.

WV unlikly PA is a very gun friendly state.

Just don’t have hollow points or any high capacity magazines especially if you travel or stopping in NJ, unless you like living on the wild side.
    I'm no fan of NJ (even though I lived there most of my life) and, yes, they do enforce their firearms laws rigidly. However the transport of a firearm from Pa to NJ for hunting purposes is well within the permitted uses in NJ statutes (NJS 2C:39-6f(2)(a)) assuming an NJ hunting license. In addition, while hunting the possession of HP's are allowed provided they are compliant with hunting regs.

The other cases that I assume you refer to (ex: Revell, Aitken) were violations of the law. As discussed in other threads, there was indeed a measure of culpability or stupidity on the part of the 'violators' so there was a basis for their arrest.

As to the interstate transport, the applicability of 'FOPA' and its transport methodology in the origin and destination states is still an unresolved question. Assuming the OP and sub-OP travel between contiguous states then they should assure compliance with the transport/possession laws of the individual states in question.
    IANAL