Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where in PA are good places to hunt coyote?

Hey fellas, I'm relatively new to hunting and had wanted to try my hand at coyote hunting. I would love any advice you can give especially regarding location. I was wondering where it would be best to go hunting. My plans as of right now were to use my beloved Savage 30-06 and head up around Beltzville Lake. Any input would be much appreciated...thanks again for the help and god bless

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Where in PA are good places to hunt coyote?

SPP,

Welcome aboard!
    Now if you lived in the PGH area I could tell you about some places with in about 10 mi. of downtown to hunt 'yotes but seeing your across the state I'm sorry but I can't help you. Maybe try farms and ranchers that might be looking to have a few "removed" from their property before they lose any more live stock. This could mean some driving for you and I'll bet some rejections(let's face it- there are slob hunters out there who have been there before you) but if you prove yourself trust worthy you'll be invited back and the word will spread.

I used to belong to "The Varmint Hunter" club and mag and IIRC there was a PA chapter you might want to contact.
    Good hunting and watch your back.

Sounds like a plan, I think I can work with that. I grew up knowing a couple farmers throughout PA. I guess its time to see if they still remember me and hopefully the housing contractors haven't divided up their land. I wouldn't mind driving or making a trip out of it. I really appreciate the input, and I' m sure ill find a way when you enjoy something this much. Love and Desperation breed Ingenuity.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, good hunting to ya.

(York County)

I just spent last week up in Huntingdon hunting SGL 67. I talked to the locals and the place is polluted with them. I never seen so much coyote poop before. So you might want to check it out up there.

Thanks a lot man I really am glad to hear that...I know I shouldn't since it cant be good for the locals(or the soles of your boots based on the amount of poop) but its good news to me. Yea my contacts haven't been as helpful as I would have liked. Most of them have lost or sold their land, or their sons have inherited it and sold it since. Thanks again for the info, Ill be sure to check it out. Anything additional info is always welcome. Thanks again, Happy Hunting

(York County)

No Problem. If you decide to head up that way and not sure how to get to the gamelands, let me know and I'll give you directions.
    Last edited by akordboy; December 5th, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Stimpy17:

I live in Pittsburgh and am very interested in coyote hunting. Any suggestions?

Hey it looks like I may be headed up when I finally get some time off this month. I think I have an idea of the location but directions from someone more experienced is always appreciated. I have been there before, passed through the town but never hunted, It has been a while so I am grateful for the info. Thanks again n Happy Hunting

(Lehigh County)

I have a cabin in karthus that is in moshanon state forest and it is loaded with them. It is not to far from mosquito creek that has the big coyote hunt. well anyway if you are into coyotes get up there the week of feb 23 they have the big hunt 5,ooo plus or so for heaviest coyote. The only thing i can reccomend for a good chance to nail a yote is to go before this contests start because it seems afterthat they get really educated to calls.

(Westmoreland County)

I just had an interesting email from a lady near Mercersburg, Pa. Coyotes surrounding her dog house. I've been asked to give her location information to interested hunters. She contacted me through Tubmill Trout Club's website coyote hunt information. Email me for more information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast