Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Anyone practice with their HD shotgun periodically?

I guess I'm just wondering what other people do to practice with their HD shotguns, whether it be an 870, 500, shortened double barrel, whatever it is. When I go to the range, which has actually been quite a bit lately, I'll take my shotgun every now and then and see how quickly I can reload and effectively place different loads on targets at 25 yards. 25 yards is obviously not a realistic hallway or room distance but it's the shortest range I can shoot shotgun shot and slugs on.

I have done skeet shooting a couple times in the past but I feel kind of awkward shooting clays with a 500 18" barrel.

Not trying to sound like a tacticool mall ninja, I just like to practice with something I may have to protect my life with and I don't hear of/see a lot of people doing something along these lines?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Default Re: Anyone practice with their HD shotgun periodically?

yeah we all do at my range. I shoot 3 gun, and a lot of inside 20 yard stuff is done with my shotgun, which also serves for HD. We even had a tactical shotgun shoot off at the sporting clay range. It looks silly, but makes you comfortable working it and running it, for sure. Plus if I can hit a 4 inch circle at 40 mph and 30 yards, bad breath distance should be much easier.

(Bucks County)

Practice as much as you can with it. I have seen quite a few people fail to knock down steel plates at 7-10 yards with their shotguns (blows that "you don't have to aim" theory). 7-10 yards is a plausible home defense distance in some homes. Doesn't matter what other people think, if you can practice with it do so as much as possible. Although I agree that an 18.5" barrel with GRS might be a bit out of place at the clays range. Since clays don't represent a home defense scenario, swap out your barrrel for a longer one with chokes and have fun. That will at least train you in racking under time/pressure.
    Last edited by IgnitedSoul; January 23rd, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

(Chester County)

Dont know of many people that use slugs for home defense and if you need practice with buckshot at hallway distance, lord help you lol

(Lehigh County)

Good to hear there is others out there. All great input so far!

Also, I don't use slugs for HD but I wanna get ahold of some #4 buck to keep in it. I just played around with some different loads at the range for fun and to see the difference in recoil.

I like shooting Skeet with my home defense shotgun. The distances are within what I would consider for home defense. It works the gun, enhances your skills, and all the while under pressure. I don't know of any military or law enforcement shotgun specific training course that does not include moving clay targets. The reason is target id, aquisition, and moving target engagement. Can't get any better than that!

CL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    Dont know of many people that use slugs for home defense and if you need practice with buckshot at hallway distance, lord help you lol
    Huh? Slugs and buckshot and birdshot all have the same spread at hallway distances. If you take home defense seriously, you absolutely should practice it as often as possible.

(Delaware County)

Shotguns, especially pump guns, are very labor intensive. If you are not practicing your manipulations frequently, you probably aren't prepared to use it.

(Lawrence County)

I shoot skeet with my HD shotty. 22/25 last weekend.

I also shoot 3 gun with it and run various courses of fire.

I think, in the end, that skeet and clays are probably better than anything.

Lycanreallythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    yeah we all do at my range. I shoot 3 gun, and a lot of inside 20 yard stuff is done with my shotgun, which also serves for HD. We even had a tactical shotgun shoot off at the sporting clay range. It looks silly, but makes you comfortable working it and running it, for sure. Plus if I can hit a 4 inch circle at 40 mph and 30 yards, bad breath distance should be much easier.
    Same, Same... 3 gun is a good test for HD shotgun. Plus if and when shtf you may have to take the HD shotgun for a walk outside.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast