Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Act 235 & New Jersey

I'm still stuck on the comment about NJ state troopers blatantly saying they'd ignore the federal law that gives armored car guards the ability to carry across state borders.
    Does this tell you anything about the arrogance on the part of Jersey LEO's and how far they'll go to "protect" their irrational way of life?
    Absolutely disgrace in my opinion, especially because the state trooper basically went on record as saying, "Yeah, we don't recognize that federal law, and we'll violate your rights regardless."
    Damn shame.
    J.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyec View Post
    I'm still stuck on the comment about NJ state troopers blatantly saying they'd ignore the federal law that gives armored car guards the ability to carry across state borders.
    Does this tell you anything about the arrogance on the part of Jersey LEO's and how far they'll go to "protect" their irrational way of life?
    Absolutely disgrace in my opinion, especially because the state trooper basically went on record as saying, "Yeah, we don't recognize that federal law, and we'll violate your rights regardless."
    Damn shame.
    J.
    I wouldn't place too much credence in what transpired in an alleged phone conversation with a random trooper. An individual trooper doesn't know all the state laws much less Federal.

Anyone have any verifiable corroborative citations that NJ is abusing 15 USC 5901? I can't find any cases in NJ.
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

I have been working for an armored truck co. in the Lehigh Valley since March of this year. When I mentioned going to New Jersey nobody has been hasseled by NJ LEO, but just in case some of the old timers carry a little card that references the act so the LEO can look it up.

I was just looking at this job posting on craigslist. Can someone clarify why you would need ACT 235 for a Jersey company?

Shields Business Solutions has immediate openings for full and part time armored car guards to work out of our Moorestown, NJ headquarters. We are seeking trustworthy individuals who are ready for a challenging position in a growing company.

A background in security or experience in the ATM industry is a plus but not required. Applicants must have a valid drivers license and good driving history. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, must have a PA ACT 235, be able to lift 50lbs., a good credit background, have never committed a felony, must own their own weapon, and must be able to pass a DOT physical and drug test. Flexible hours. IMMEDIATE OPENINGS. Only applicants with a current PA ACT 235 and ownership of sidearm will be considered all others need not apply.

Please only apply if you have a PA ACT 235 and own your own sidearm or your resume will not be considered.

(Northampton County)

I believe that you could work out of that companies NJ office with Act 235, my company has an office in NJ and we can send our guys to work over there. They are probably advertising in both states PA & NJ to recruit the people that they need. Did you call them and ask?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommydesigns View Post
    I was just looking at this job posting on craigslist. Can someone clarify why you would need ACT 235 for a Jersey company?

Shields Business Solutions has immediate openings for full and part time armored car guards to work out of our Moorestown, NJ headquarters. We are seeking trustworthy individuals who are ready for a challenging position in a growing company.

A background in security or experience in the ATM industry is a plus but not required. Applicants must have a valid drivers license and good driving history. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, must have a PA ACT 235, be able to lift 50lbs., a good credit background, have never committed a felony, must own their own weapon, and must be able to pass a DOT physical and drug test. Flexible hours. IMMEDIATE OPENINGS. Only applicants with a current PA ACT 235 and ownership of sidearm will be considered all others need not apply.

Please only apply if you have a PA ACT 235 and own your own sidearm or your resume will not be considered.
    Since Shields is based in Morrestown, NJ and the 'job' is out of NJ, I fail to see how a PA 235 is pertinent. The Armor Car Reciprocity law would seem to require licensure from the state of primary employment (NJ):

15 USC §5902. State reciprocity of weapons licenses issued to armored car company crew members
    (a) In general
    If an armored car crew member employed by an armored car company—

(1) has in effect a license issued by the appropriate State agency (in the State in which such member is primarily employed by such company) to carry a weapon while acting in the services of such company in that State,...
    If you're serious you might want to inquire about this issue before investing in Pa ACT 235 training.
    IANAL

It's possible that they have positions that are based in PA with routes in PA and figure it's easier to fill it with folks with Act 235?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    It's possible that they have positions that are based in PA with routes in PA and figure it's easier to fill it with folks with Act 235?
    I thought about them having Pa routes but, according to their website, they show only a Morrestown, NJ office and "When your cash is not in transit, and not in an ATM, it is safe and sound on the premises of our headquarters in Moorestown, NJ."

http://www.shieldsbusinesssolutions....t/cash-transit

So it would seem that the trucks are dispatched from and return to NJ.

The term 'primarily employed' state is undefined but it sure looks like NJ to me but, not being overly familiar with title 15, I suggest anyone interested in the job make sure that a PA 235 will suffice under the circumstances before investing funds/efforts in obtaining certification.
    IANAL

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to call them tommorrow and ask. I'm currently ACT 120 certified but that probably doesnt matter and would still need to get ACT 235 certified.

(Montgomery County)

With your Act 120, you can get a waiver for Act 235 unless your Act 120 class was more than 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommydesigns View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to call them tommorrow and ask. I'm currently ACT 120 certified but that probably doesnt matter and would still need to get ACT 235 certified.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast