Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default is it legal for a 19 year old to have a gun in his name?

My birthday is coming up and i was just wondering if it would be legal for one of my parents to buy a hand gun and then put it in my name as a gift.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: is it legal for a 19 year old to have a gun in his name?

It is legal to have one "in your name", but it's not necessary. Transfers between parents and children do not require the usual transfer paperwork, so long as both parties are PA residents. They hand the gun to you, and it's yours. Simple as that.

FFL's are prohibited by federal law to transfer a handgun to anyone under 21. If for some reason your parents really wish to do this, Sheriffs are empowered to facilitate such I transfer, but I'm not aware of any Sheriff that's actually done it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lycoming County)

you should also be aware that you must always carry it in the open. and you should also get to know the laws on when and where you can transport it in a car. at least untill you are 21 and get your ltcf
    check out the following section in the reference library at the top right side of your screen
    "18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license"
    Last edited by o1dakota440; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

(Bucks County)

Well i know you can transport it between your house and the shooting range. The reason i wanted to know about putting it in my name is because my mom doesnt want it to be in her name so i guess there's no way around that.

(Lycoming County)

well since there is no firearms registration in PA that should not be a problem. just show her---
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4: Registration of firearms
    Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

(Bucks County)

I also have a .22. but i had to get that register and put in my name? These laws are confusing haha

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunner19923 View Post
    I also have a .22. but i had to get that register and put in my name? These laws are confusing haha
    There is no "registration" in PA. Only 4 or 5 states have registration, and PA isn't one of them.

Long guns aren't in anyone's name. Only the dealer knows who he sold them to. Handguns require recorded transfers, except between spouses, parent/child, and grandparent/grandchild. If your parent or grandparent gave or sold you a handgun - it does not have to be "put in your name". It is yours legally, free & clear.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Repeat after me: There is no registration in Pennsylvania.

Repeat that until it becomes a part of you!

If your parents are hung up about it, just draw up a letter stating that your parents gift the firearm, model/serial, etc to you. Have it notarized. Then you keep a copy and they keep a copy. That's it.

That way, should anything happen in the future, and someone comes knocking on the front door, there is a paper trail for the legal transfer.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Can you rephrase this? There's either a typo up there, or you didn't express yourself clearly enough.

I can't tell if you are asking a question, or stating that you HAD TO get it "registered" and "put it in your name".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

sounds good, i was confused because im hearing 5 differnt things. dicks sporting goods is telling my parents it has to go in my name right away blah blah. i ask a dealer around here what the gun laws is and all he tells me is he doesnt sell any guns to anybody under 21. but you guys are giving me straight answers haha thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast