Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New member quick question

What differences are there between a LTCF and a non resident CCW from say FL. I live in the PRNJ and am in the process of getting their non resident permit from FL.
    Last edited by libra8; January 25th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: New member quick question

Federal law exempts you from the 1000' gun free school zones if one "is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license" and a few other conditions are met.

A non-resident license does not exempt you from the federal statute.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Assuming you're not one of the select few who can get a NJ Permit to Carry (without one you can't get a PA LTCF), of much greater concern than the Gun-Free School Zone Act (a risk that is accepted by anyone carrying under reciprocity) is the question of how to legally transport your gun between your NJ home and the PA border. Multiple threads on this forum address that question -- search is your friend.

Noted.....

you can not get one in PA if you can't in your home state, but there are other states that you can get; Florida used to but I'm not sure anymore, VA you can, Utah,Maine. There are quite a few you can get but it's not that cheap, when I lived in NJ I was looking to get Fla. and Va. and it was about $200 each and then you have to get fingerprints at your local police and they don't want to do it and make dumb claims like "we no longer do fingerprints". They are a colossal waste at some places in that state and there is no sign of it getting better.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    you can not get one in PA if you can't in your home state,
    This is a very misleading statement.

PA will not issue a non-resident license if the home state offers a license, and the applicant does not have one. If their home state does not offer one, they CAN still obtain a PA non-resident license.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Assuming you're not one of the select few who can get a NJ Permit to Carry (without one you can't get a PA LTCF), of much greater concern than the Gun-Free School Zone Act (a risk that is accepted by anyone carrying under reciprocity) is the question of how to legally transport your gun between your NJ home and the PA border. Multiple threads on this forum address that question -- search is your friend.
    Inconclusive at best....Donm do your own research and take what you read on the internet and keep it in mind, (not saying ignore it) but don't take it as written in stone or actual fact. There is risk, but there is risk Ocing in Pa. as well. You can research that here as well. NJ's laws are written to be confusing and are definitely confusing but yet they have managed to crack the code over here....(easy guys just joking)
    The answer to a fool is silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Inconclusive at best....Donm do your own research and take what you read on the internet and keep it in mind, (not saying ignore it) but don't take it as written in stone or actual fact. There is risk, but there is risk Ocing in Pa. as well. You can research that here as well. NJ's laws are written to be confusing and are definitely confusing but yet they have managed to crack the code over here....(easy guys just joking)
    I personally have no interest in researching NJ gun laws. I merely thought it wise to point out to a new member here (who joined days ago) that he needs to be more concerned about NJ's laws than the GFSZ act, which was the only risk that had been mentioned up to that time. And that it would be wise to review those concerns and make his own decision. As for OC in PA, since this is in the "Concealed Carry" section of the forum I thought it reasonable to assume that's what he had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I personally have no interest in researching NJ gun laws. I merely thought it wise to point out to a new member here (who joined days ago) that he needs to be more concerned about NJ's laws than the GFSZ act, which was the only risk that had been mentioned up to that time. And that it would be wise to review those concerns and make his own decision. As for OC in PA, since this is in the "Concealed Carry" section of the forum I thought it reasonable to assume that's what he had in mind.
    http://www.erowid.org/freedom/courts...comment1.shtml

You may not have any concern about NJ's Laws....fair enough, but be well aware the NJ, NY, gun laws are like a cancer, ignore it and it spreads.
    Personally, I am interested in NJ., NY, Pa. and all our States when it concerns gun rights. Lautenberg, Menendez, Bloomberg, Schummer...do those names sound familiar to you? Their BS doesn't stop at their borders. So it's nice to have rights and not be concerned about anybody else, that's exactly what they want. Bravo.......
    The answer to a fool is silence.

I am familiar with NJ laws. I'm more concerned about the GFSZ than a 10 minute drive to the river on the way to the range. IF I change my mind once I cross the river, meh. From what I have read here since it's federal law a federal agent has to charge you, also you have to knowingly be in a school zone. Also read here that no one has been charged with this offense. It was a 3 year old thread and I didn't want to revive it. Bad things happen when I revive old threads. See (Motorcycle OC stop caught on Dash cam. ) Are there signs alerting me I'm in a school zone. How far is 1000'.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast