Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Long Range Rig for 2

back again everyone.

so a while back i got the wife involved with shooting and to be honest, wow... she's right handed, left eye dominate and i'm trying to teach her proper technique after being taught by my left handed father while i'm right handed.

so anyhow I'm trying to figure out a decent rig to get her started on long range rifle shooting. I'm kinda tired of shooting paper circles at 15 or 20 yards with a handgun.

personally i want a Remington 700 in either 300 or 7mm mag. but i don't think she would enjoy a 100 round trip to the range shooting a heavy caliber like that.

i've heard that the smaller rounds like 22-250, 220 swifts have the potential for long range but small bullets drift more, but would be okay for a day trip to a range.

any suggestions for a Long Range caliber for a beginning long range shooter?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Long Range Rig for 2

My choice is the 6.5 Swede.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Quote Originally Posted by TargetPractice View Post
    back again everyone.

so a while back i got the wife involved with shooting and to be honest, wow... she's right handed, left eye dominate and i'm trying to teach her proper technique after being taught by my left handed father while i'm right handed.

so anyhow I'm trying to figure out a decent rig to get her started on long range rifle shooting. I'm kinda tired of shooting paper circles at 15 or 20 yards with a handgun.

personally i want a Remington 700 in either 300 or 7mm mag. but i don't think she would enjoy a 100 round trip to the range shooting a heavy caliber like that.

i've heard that the smaller rounds like 22-250, 220 swifts have the potential for long range but small bullets drift more, but would be okay for a day trip to a range.

Both .243 and .260 are soft shooters, and will get you to 1K. Also, 6mm and 6.5mm bullets have very high ballistic co-efficients for their weight.

If I wasn't totally set up in .308 for most of my rifles, I'd be all over a .260 Remington build.

Savage makes a stock tactical rifle in .260, and Remington makes an SPS heavy barrel in .243. Both will be sub moa guns, but will more than likely you're going to want a new stock for either rifle.

(Union County)

I agree the .260 would be a good way to go. They don't kick much at all, but I guess if it's too much for her you could get a brake put on it.

(York County)

The amount of weight you have on the rifle will make a big difference in how it feels with recoil. If you are not planning on having to carry the thing much, a heavy stock like the B & C varmint/tactical will tame down the recoil.

My .308 is a teddy bear to shoot with it's B&C on, I don't know if a 300 winmag could be brought within 'reasonable' levels of recoil for some shooters though. .308 will get you to 1000 yds though, and with so many options out there for the caliber, there is much you can do.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

YBNORMAL brings up a FANTASTIC point.

If you're not gona be humping the rifle, weight is your friend.

Getting a McMillan with a "sniper fill" stock will add some weight, as will bedding, a heavy base/rings/scope.

My M40A3 build weighs in at around 16 pounds, and causes no discomfort to my 5'0, 96 pound girlfriend.

(Perry County)

While I agree that the .260 and .243 are reasonably mild in recoil, have you considered the .223? The Army regularly shoots them to 600 yds. Yes there is more wind drift than a 140 fr .260, however, dealing with wind is one of ;the challenges of shooting long range. Unless I'm mistaken it is hard to find a range of over 600 yds in Eastern Pa (New Holland). So perhaps a Short actioned Remington of Savage, with a decent stock that fits her well.

What are you doing with the cross dominance? Have you tried taping the offending eye (well actually one generally puts tape on the shooting glasses not the actual eye ball)?

Quote Originally Posted by TargetPractice View Post
    back again everyone.

I wouldn't start out with a 7mm mag or a 300wm, at least with your wife, but that is just me. They both have a hard kick and a decent kick with a brake. You can get injured from the scope if you are new with a heavy caliber such as these. Plus, good target rds. for them are almost $2 a piece. The 22-250 is one heck of a very manageable round. It shoots very flat and will take whitetail deer at 300yds. It is a very good varmit round, as well. The .223, which isn't as fast as the 22-250 will print 1" groups at 200yds. out of the right rifle.

I like Rem. rifles and have two of them. They do a good job for me. I have recently shot a couple of Savage rifles and though I would not sell my Rems to get one, it would have been a harder choice for me when I purchased the Rems. I did like the Savage triggers better than the Rem, and the stocks, to me, felt of a better quality. None of the rifles I am referring to have or had any work done to them, all out of the box, stock.

(Allegheny County)

Before I answer.

What distance are you planning on shooting? "Long range" means different things to different people. My second question is are you going to do all of your shooting from a bench?
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Before I answer.

What distance are you planning on shooting? "Long range" means different things to different people. My second question is are you going to do all of your shooting from a bench?
    I was planning a large spread for the range, 300 to 1000 yards being the high end. I'll be teaching my wife and possible start getting into the 1000 competition up in Williamsport area range. i plan on shooting from a bench 90%+ of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast