Folks,

So I posted the news regarding H.R. 308, which is the High Capacity Magazine Ban, that was just submitted to the house floor on Jan. 18th, and I also made comment about how tiring it is to defend my 2a rights.

Then, I read this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
The problem is, we are always on the defensive and the slightest lapse causes us to lose ground. We need to go more on the offensive so they need to compromise and we gain ground.

Example: They come after high cap mags, we go after granola bars?

It got me thinking. This has been our problem all along. We're always "defending" 2-A rights, we're never really promoting them.

It is time to get on the offensive, but the question is, how?

For your consideration, some thoughts. I'm very open to critique on this issue but its time we change our game plan so we can start making gains instead of losses.

1.) In order for the "extraordinary" to become "ordinary, or normal" we need to make it public. Well, what do you mean by that Joe? For starters, I don't see to many movies, news clips, articles, or even Youtube videos showing parents out at the range with their children, encouraging them on marksmanship and proper firearms handling.

I was first exposed to this concept by watching NutNFancy on Youtube, but he seems to be the only one doing it, and doing it somewhat consistently. This needs to be a regular staple, everyone who has a wife and/or kids needs to be publicizing such outings as often as they go out. Firearms and Family need to go "hand in hand" and become American again as baseball and apple pie.

2.) I like the NRA, but one thing I've noticed about them is that they have horrible P.R. Sure, they are constantly notifying their "membership" and often have commentary in the trade press, but many people don't read Gun related magazines or newspapers, nor do they watch the half-dozen or so shows on TV related to firearms or sporting.

Meanwhile, groups like PETA, or the Southern Poverty Law Center, always have someone on stand-by and grab a camera every chance they get. This is part of the reason Anti-2A groups do well, because they are prepared, and seize every opportunity for exposure to the masses they get. They also have their talking points in order, and memorized.

NRA? You can hear the crickets chirping...

Whats sometimes worse is when one of the media outlets grabs a hold of a "Pro-2A" person, they always seem to pick a guy that is somewhat snobbish, or perhaps even, dare I say it, "redneck-ish". They're playing on 2 different stereotypes here, one being elitist, the other being stupid. This image needs to be changed to someone more caring, understanding, and mainstream but whose opinions are based on solid facts, is willing to engage, and it has to be someone who is willing to redirect such conversations from "why does someone need a 30 round mag" to "Government doesn't guarantee personal security, and that its up to you to be secure in your own person, thus requiring such laws to be maintained in order for you to do that"

3.) We need to hear about success stories. Whether its a homeowner defending his family from intruders, a armed civilian helping a Law Enforcement Officer apprehend someone, or some hunters taking down game, butchering it, and helping to feed the homeless, if it has a firearm involved, and positive results, there needs to be a push to get that front page. People in general are sick and tired of hearing about tragedy and "Doom and Gloom". Lets give the people what they want, AND achieve our agenda at the same time. This can be achieved by mobilizing the masses through forums like this, to flood mainstream media outlets pressuring them to report on such favorable instances.

We're barely able to mobilize all our people to harass their elected officials on a weekly basis, whats 10 more minutes a week, if that, to call or email a few media outlets, and pressure them with such requests?

Keep in mind something else, Mainstream media is just about dead. Most people now turn to the internet to get their news. Devices such as Youtube are drawing younger generations, and they're getting their information from that. We, both corporately and individually, have to monopolize on this trend, and stay ahead of the curve. This is why its important to show young adults exercising their 2A rights in positive manners, as youth tend to identify with their peers, not someone whose 20 years older than themselves.

open for comment, thoughts, good/bad/otherwise are encouraged.

Joe....