Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Alright, it is almost that time of year....

To start getting ready for spring gobbler season! I know we have some time yet, but I am the kind of guy who starts scouting new areas at the earliest possible times. So here it is, the turkey thread. Anyone else partake in this particular event?

This will be my first spring gobbler hunt and I am excited. I am working on getting my rig ready. I am looking into the Hevi shot system for my Remington 870 express, and also going to camo it up with some self cling tape and stuff.

I hunt around the Lancaster county area and sometimes Lebanon and Berks county as well.

Any tips and discussion/ tactics for the newbie turkey goers?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Alright, it is almost that time of year....

In the spring I fish, however last year I went out for Turkey in McKean Co where I hunt deer. I enjoyed myself but I'll be the first to say I had no idea what the heck I was doing. I went with a guy who has had some experience and he called for me but nothing was around. I learned a little and hope to learn a lot more next time I go. I hope to make it out at least twice this year, schedule permitting. My schedule in the spring/Summer gets filled so fast it's hard to plan things out.

I was hoping my fishing trip and spring turkey would overlap a day or two but this year it isn't happening. I've got a week long camping trip planned and it would have been nice to break up a day or two of fishing with some turkey hunting.

(Bucks County)

I'm headed up to camp on the 30th to pattern a Mossberg 500 turkey gun I'm borrowing from my Brother in Law. I'm meeting my wife's godson who is thinking of starting turkey hunting in NJ and letting hom shoot a few different shotguns...

Soon it is time to stick my Primos CD in the player and practice w/ my mouth calls! I still sound better w/ my box and slate calls...

(Allegheny County)

I'll have to start looking around.

Last edited by 27hand; January 20th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

(Clarion County)

I hope to be getting out for the first time this year myself. I did some fall turkey but wasn't able to bag anything. I need to pattern my 500 as well, especially with the turkey choke I just bought for it. Definitely would be nice to have a gobbler as the first kill for this shotgun.

(Lancaster County)

Hey 27...I will be up at your house as soon as you give me the address and the season opens! Haha that last bird has quite a beard and from what I can see some decent spurs. Nice Turkeys!

I can not wait to get this Hevi shot set up for my 870. I hear that people absolutely crush turkeys with this set up out to 50 yards! Only thing is, waiting on the cash and stuff to come together. I actually thought about hunting schuykill(spelling) county this year, but I hear in certain parts of the county are on a bird shortage...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Hey 27...I will be up at your house as soon as you give me the address and the season opens! Haha that last bird has quite a beard and from what I can see some decent spurs. Nice Turkeys!

, but I hear in certain parts of the county are on a bird shortage...
    I never hunted turkey before but I see them regularly from my front porch.
    Sometimes the same with deer. I can't find one where I can hunt, come home and spook 6 of them when I'm unloading my hunting stuff.

Good luck this year.

(Lehigh County)

Well the snow is going away hog hunting threads are being discussed how about the turkeys anyone seeing anything?

(Somerset County)

No turkeys, but I did see seven deer today including a buck that still has his rack.

Dale

(Lehigh County)

I saw about 15 turkey in PRNJ yesterday. I pulled my truck over and "called" them and they responded. They didn't come into shooting range because they could see me but they chirped, clucked and one gobble.

I have hunted turkey in the past.(never got one though) This season will be the first time out in about 6 years. I will say that turkey are some of the smartest game in the woods. They have good hearing and excellent eyesight.

I have called turkey in, I just kept getting busted when I stopped calling to aim the gun. To try to minimize this, I have been teaching myself how to use a mouth call. I have been using my commuting time to practice. (3 hours a day) I had tried to use them in the past but had issues with because of gag reflex. I trimmed some of the call away with a pair of scissors to keep from barfing all over the place. This seems to work quite well.

I will be purchasing some decoys and a ground blind for this season. I have talked to quite a few successful turkey hunters (at least according to their forum profiles) and they all suggest these items. They also suggest "putting them to bed." Go out the night before the hunt (at least an hour before dark) and call them. As soon as you get a response to your call, stop calling and leave the area. If you don't get a response, try different areas until you get a response. They (gobblers) will think there is a hen in the area, when they can't find them, they will roost in nearby trees. Get out before dawn and set up your blind/hunting spot and decoys. A little after dawn, start calling. If there are interested Toms in the area (from the night before) they will respond and find your decoys.

I am so stoked about getting out for turkey this year. I am planning on only hunting with my bow during spring gobbler.

Hope this helps, I will hopefully be posting pictures in May of my first bird.

ETA: I will be scouting for hunting locations as soon as my ankle heals (hopefully in @ 2 weeks). If anyone knows of a place to hunt gobblers that is available near the Lehigh Valley, let me know. I would also be interested in joining another hunter to tag team an area.
    Last edited by ReconLdr; February 16th, 2011 at 11:40 PM.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast