Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Star 9mm and my First Auction

First the gun:
    Well I picked up a Star Firestar 9mm for what I thought was a fair price: $325 for the gun, 3 mags, plastic box and manual. With buyer's premium, sales tax and paperwork it was about $387. The copyright in the manual says 1981. Took it to the range, took it apart for a quick cleaning and put 50 rds downrange. Nice fit for my hand and accurate too. It's exactly the same length as my Bersa Thunder and a hair taller, but much heavier. Must be a lot of steel!

The auction:
    Alderfer's in Hatfield has a good website which shows the guns and also describes the auction process. And they answer the phone if you call! Looking on google maps I find it's only about half an hour from me and I'm off today so I went.

I would have loved to get the '08 Luger and/or the Walther PPK. In the auction literature they make a guess of the price range they think the items will bring and these seemed to be in my budget. Of course that's not what happened! I don't think anything sold for the low prices they estimated. This must be so as not to get the seller's hopes up. With few exceptions the prices were far above! I didn't stay for the long guns, just the handguns. Maybe they were more in the guesstimate ballpark.

I checked some prices before going, such as a .45/410 derringer which Bud's sells for $445, but didn't look for the Star as I wasn't really interested. But when I got there and realized my first choices probably would be way over my budget I took a look and really liked it.

Well the gun auction process, for anyone contemplating going, consists of registering and getting a bidder number, bidding on the "lot" you want, paying for the item(s), filling out the state and federal paperwork, getting the background check. The waiting is the worst part, as the last three are done at separate locations with separate lines. I was lucky and was ready to leave pretty early on but I imagine the wait gets worse as the auction progresses. There were hundreds of lots for sale.

I was impressed with how well organized and professional Alderfer's staff, and their process, was.

Their fee for the whole transfer/PICS was only $9, which included a dollar for a mandatory trigger lock.

What I learned:

• Auctions may be a good place to find scarce or unusual items but don't expect any bargain-basement prices. You're bidding against people in the room and on the internet too; everyone knows what the items are worth.
    • In addition to the purchase price, there's a buyer's premium. This is 13% unless you pay by cash or check, then it's 10%. Personal checks are accepted with proper ID. Tax is paid on the premium too.
    • The paperwork is surprisingly inexpensive, but I guess they make their money on the auction and do this at or near their cost. If it were higher there might be fewer buyers.
    • It goes very fast! They were up to lot number 110 in just over an hour.
    • You won't accidentally bid on something by scratching your nose!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Default Re: Star 9mm and my First Auction

Auctions for anything can be hit or miss. For firearms, an auction house with only a few up for bids is where you'll find the best price. Larger consignments attract more knowledgable buyers.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

An auction is not a gun shop, its a hit or miss, the product goes to the highest bidder, in a gun shop you pay what is on the ticket or less.

(Snyder County)

With auctions you have to be prepared for anything. The last auction I was at which it was basically a junk auction, they sold a crappy looking Hi Point 9mm with no mag and had a crappy laser mounted on the trigger guard for $350. I about fell over in my chair.

did you happen to see what the remington /rand 1911 went for?
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Allegheny County)

Congrats on the M43, I'm sure you will love the gun just as I do. I have 2 of them with the Starvel finish. Built like a tank, Ambi safety, shoots accurate and smooth. Takes a bit to get used to the trigger but once you do its great.

Enjoy, you got a great gun at a good price. I've seen them anywhere from $275.00 - $375.00. NIB normally is $325.00 - $350.00 these days. You did good :-)

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    ...which included a dollar for a mandatory trigger lock.
    Alright, pardon my ignorance, but when exactly did a trigger lock become mandatory? I'm not busting your balls OP, I've just heard this crap before and it gets old. I'm under the assumption that a trigger lock is not necessary, seeing as I've bought guns, walked right out of the store with them, no lock, no box, nothing. Even Cabela's! But for some reason some idiots get it in their head that "Ohhh, it's illegal to sell guns without trigger locks!!" Where did this idea come from? I know one FFL who told me I couldn't have a gun transferred to me without having a trigger lock! I haven't been back to that place... That guy was a nut anyway. And 99% of the time the people who insist on trigger locks are giving you those red plastic pieces of crap that look like they cost 12 cents to make and could easily be removed from a gun by a 6 year old with a pair of pliers...

Sorry for that guys... A little off topic.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Congrats on the Star, RickD. I almost picked up a Firestar myself a while back. From what I've seen, they are solid little guns.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Alright, pardon my ignorance, but when exactly did a trigger lock become mandatory? I'm not busting your balls OP, I've just heard this crap before and it gets old. I'm under the assumption that a trigger lock is not necessary, seeing as I've bought guns, walked right out of the store with them, no lock, no box, nothing. Even Cabela's!
    I'm at work so some sites are blocked to me but I have read the UFA numerous times and they DID make Locks Mandatory for FFL transfers.

Lots of dealers ignore it though.

(Montgomery County)

Re: Remington/Rand .45 went for $800 gavel price. Add 19% for buyer's premium and sales tax if you don't pay by cash/check. And of course $9 PICS & paperwork & lock.

Re: gun lock. I don't know if it's legally required but it seems a lot of trouble for them to make you buy a lock for a dollar if they don't have to. I would think they have some good lawyers on the payroll to keep abreast of these things.

And yes, they are the cheap plastic things that go over the trigger and hold together with a screw. The "key" is really a thing with 2 pins sticking out to engage the smooth headed screw. My 3yo grandson could open it with a butter knife in about 30 seconds.

As for the gun, it seems to be built like a tank and my first trip to the range was a pleasant surprise. A little bonus I hadn't noticed was the beveled magazine well. If I ever use it for friendly competition (at Classic Pistol on Tuesdays) it will be a little help in reloading.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast