Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default My newest addition....

I have been wanting to get a bow for a few years now. Every time I would save up some money, something always came up. It was usually a gun I wanted or my kids orthodontist needed a Porsche payment... Since I didn't find one under the tree last month, I finally bought one 1/7/2011.

It is a PSE Brute LT set to 28"draw x 60lbs. I have been to the range 4x already and am planning on going again this weekend. I am doing pretty good for never shooting a bow before. On my last trip to the range I was averaging 3" groups at 20 yds.

I am hooked....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: My newest addition....

Nice Rig!

Good for you on getting started with archery, better late than never. It gets pretty addicting, once you take a deer up close and personal you are going to love it. It's quite a rush when they are right under the stand.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    Nice Rig!

Good for you on getting started with archery, better late than never. It gets pretty addicting, once you take a deer up close and personal you are going to love it. It's quite a rush when they are right under the stand.
    Thanks. I am so freaking hooked on this archery thing and I haven't even been in the woods with it yet!!!! I guess it's the new challenge and all.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lancaster County)

Archery is a fun and challenging sport. All I am going to say, and this is coming from someone else relatively new to archery, do not be dissapointed the first time you go out and don't get a deer. I am assuming you have been deer hunting long enough to know that already, but this past year I spent SOOO much time scouting and preparing, and my archery season fell apart on the first day. I hunt public land and this year I am trying to find private land to hunt. Oh yea, and I see you have been practicing, but don't stop practicing. In the spring and summer months I shoot 3-5 times a week just to keep on it. The difference is, when I first started I too was shooting 3-4 inch groups at 20 yards. Now, I shoot 3-4" groups at 40 yards and on a good day 50 yards. I even have a foam block set up in my basement for these cold winter days I don't feel like sitting in 20 degree weather with a 15mph wind to shoot my bow.

Keep practicing and overall, Congrats and welcome to Archery! You will spend a lot of money in the next 12 months on this hobby of yours. Just as you would if it were a gun!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Bucks County)

Here's the most important piece of advice for a new bowhunter. When shooting from elevation, bend at the waist. If you simply lower your arm you will miss your shot everytime. It is of the utmost importance to develop good form. When you draw from a treestand, draw and get your anchor parallel to the ground, then bend at the waist maintaining good form to find your target. I overlooked passing this information on to a buddy of mine a few years ago. After shooting under 4 deer in two years, I asked if he was bending at the waist and he just looked blankly at me. He connected on the next deer he shot at.

Archery, like everthing else in life can sometimes seem overwhelming. Another thing I cannot stress enough is broadhead tuning. Many people think that after sighting in with field points, you can slap some broadheads on and call it good. This is not always the case. Please out of respect for the animal you are hunting, properly broadhead tune.

Anyway learn what you can from wherever you can. I know there are plenty of archers on this site which I am sure will chime in too. Please ask questions if you have them.

Congratulations on the new bow, shoot it often, and enjoy!

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by BRIANT View Post
    Here's the most important piece of advice for a new bowhunter. When shooting from elevation, bend at the waist. If you simply lower your arm you will miss your shot everytime. It is of the utmost importance to develop good form. When you draw from a treestand, draw and get your anchor parallel to the ground, then bend at the waist maintaining good form to find your target.
    great advice BRIANT.. I always forget this!!! once it warms up I will be shooting a 3-d target from my stand about 20 feet up , practicing this alot!!!
    shooting in my basement right now at 18 yards,,was shooting 1 inch groups,,dropped my bow 2 weeks ago from 22 feet!!(was in bow holder that attaches to my climber) it's off by 3 inches now!!
    will have to start all over. sweet bow..darton pro 3500sd..super fast and dead quiet.no deer with it this year ,will get a turkey hopefully.deer later on this year I hope..

Nice addition. I jumped on the compound bow bandwagon when Jennings first came out with them in the 70's & I shot PSE's in field archery tournaments for a few years. It takes a lot of practice, but you'll find that it's relaxing once you get settled in.

Just don't let yourself get into the habit of buying every gadget that comes out. Find what works & stay with it.

About 18 years ago I chucked the compound bow & all the gadgets associated with it. I had a custom recurve made for me & I'll never go back. They're much simpler & just as accurate. No sights. No arrow rests. No gadgets.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

You may be interested in this place:
    http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/index.php

I used to get all my stuff there.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell