Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Rock River Arms 18 Inch Varmint A4

Greetings all,

This is gonna be a rifle i am planning on purchasing very soon. With a for-grip changed out to a Rock River Half Quad Free Float tube, an EOTech Sight with 3x magnifier. General use will be Target/coyote Hunting (NY state), and as a back up home defense.

i know not all Ar's are built the same, and a lot will turn their nose up to a RRA Ar, but would like a recommended list of parts to exchange immediately or over time suggestions. The Misses is encouraging of the purchase, but only because it will do more then collect dust between target time, but i want to make the best of the allotted funds, and plan on upgrading this through out the year.

So any suggestions would be nice,
    Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: Rock River Arms 18 Inch Varmint A4

Instead of constantly upgrading (getting nickled & dimed to death), why not save a little longer, and then get what you REALLY want?

Just curious, since optimal paper-punching season should still be a few monthes away yet in PA.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Rock River Arms 18 Inch Varmint A4

The overall configuration of this set up is what i want overall. have not seen any other companies make it to my particular liking such as this one.

however the local area generally only deals with bushmaster so any questions regarding RRA's are shot down right away before i am even finished asking and then the push on the bushmaster sale starts up. so i am left scratching my head wondering.

Nothing wrong with the Bushmasters that i have played with, and they are readily available locally, but out of the box the RRA offers me 99% of wants except sights. were i would be spending a lot more converting the bushmaster.

Overall i am looking for others who have experience with RRA AR15's, past and present, and if there is anything i should look to change out when i get it.

(Bucks County)

there's not a damn thing wrong with rock river AR15's and i think for the purposes you list the rifle you've chosen will meet your needs. while it's true some AR15's are better than others for the average Joe that just wants to hunt with one, use it for SD or just punch holes through paper the RRA is more than adequate. i really don't think you need to add anything more to your rifle than what the rifle already comes with. before i spent a lot of money on a bunch of parts or accessories i'd focus on stocking up on ammo and mags. tanners sport center in jamison, pa sels rock river guns so you might want to give them a call and see what they have in stock. Tanners has great prices and they will ship to a FFL of your choice.

(Lancaster County)

wow very nice..

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    there's not a damn thing wrong with rock river AR15's and i think for the purposes you list the rifle you've chosen will meet your needs. while it's true some AR15's are better than others for the average Joe that just wants to hunt with one, use it for SD or just punch holes through paper the RRA is more than adequate. i really don't think you need to add anything more to your rifle than what the rifle already comes with. before i spent a lot of money on a bunch of parts or accessories i'd focus on stocking up on ammo and mags. tanners sport center in jamison, pa sels rock river guns so you might want to give them a call and see what they have in stock. Tanners has great prices and they will ship to a FFL of your choice.
    Thanks for your thoughts on it and a place to contact. I was really concerned to know if they have any definite parts that need to come out and replaced ASAP. I was actually thinking on doing that in regards to ammo and mags this next coming check. not rushing on the 5 round mags though as i do not see the government banning them just yet, :P

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rjb08 View Post
    wow very nice..
    I like it! A LOT!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    +1.

Nothing wrong with that rifle.

Lycanlovesthe18thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

It would be worth looking into the weight of the handguard you picked, IIRC, they are pretty hefty.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Shoot it some, first. You may find that you don't need to change anything. Although I am trying to get a build completed, I have a BM that is 100% stock, and it does fine.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It would be worth looking into the weight of the handguard you picked, IIRC, they are pretty hefty.
    I have felt the other type of tube, personally i do not like the general feel of them. but the other hand guard has the rails on it, I like options.

I am assuming the "Venting" in the for grip design does cut some of the weight down, how much i do not officially know as of yet, but i will contact them and see if they will give me weights on the 2 and post them here if i get the info. Overall i expect it to be front heavy with the larger diameter barrel (.920), already and may have to counter weigh it in the stock some to balance it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Shoot it some, first. You may find that you don't need to change anything. Although I am trying to get a build completed, I have a BM that is 100% stock, and it does fine.
    I doubt overall with my intended use it will fail, and will shoot fine once "broken in". more concerned with issues (If any) with the smaller parts: Pins, Springs, connectors, Trigger assemblies, Etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast