Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Cool Retention Holster

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good OWB high rise retention holster that will fit my Ruger SR9C

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Retention Holster

I have been considering DeSantis' Thumb Break Scabbard for my XD45 Compact.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...eak-Mini-Slide

or

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...Break-Scabbard

(Cumberland County)

Depends what kind of retention you're talking about. For active retention lots of guys go with a Blackhawk Serpa. I don't really like them, so I found something different, a Bianchi Carrylok. It's an active retention holster made out of leather. I don't know if they make it for the Ruger yet or not. Here's a review on it;

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/11...lock-27-a.html
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I have a Blawkhawk Serpa - excellent retention, though I wish it came up further on the side of the pistol to cover the slide & safety.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey1980 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a good OWB high rise retention holster that will fit my Ruger SR9C
    I just recently picked up a Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle Holster for my M&P9c. It is a high rise and hides almost the whole gun. It has a hidden thumb release. I love it.

SR9c is not listed on their website. However, I have seen it before. I'd contact them and ask.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378

Ok, maybe because of my previous employment I'm a bit anal about weapon retention but let me break it down to you like this.

Holster are like containers that hold water.

A) You have cheapies that are like water troughs for horses. Big, bulky, very loose fitting on the belt and your gun slides around inside the holster even with a ridiculous little strap and thumb break snap. Booo! No good!!! A place to carry or put your pistol as opposed to letting lay out on a table or bench while at the range, no problem.

B) You have some that are like cheap water bottles sold emass at discount warehouses. Oh, they hold water, have a screw type lid (to a point), hold in the water fairly well at first look/glance but apply a little pressure and the cap will fly off like a rocket. The sides will collapse in on itself forcing the water out. They look cool and meet the very basics of what retention should be but are by far too weak to wear with a self defense weapon. This includes good leather level I retention ie holster with a thumb snap imbedded in leather holding said firearm around the backstrap/slide/single-double action revolver hammer location.

C) Lastly, you have higher end expensive containers that'll hold anything under any conditions without costing any more time to employ than their cheaper breather. A Stanly thormos for example or a bubba barrel and I'm sure there are other find products out there that'll hold water under the worst of conditions. However, the quality, engineering, reliability, strenth, high quality material etc...are superior to both A & B.

In my own opinion, catagory A includes but is not limited too, some of Uncle Mikes Holsters, some Desantis, some Bianchi, some Galco, cheap knock offs, and other super flimsy "chit,"all goes into Category A. Do not use except in dire emergency, EVER!!!!

Catergory B would be some Bianchi, many blackhawk products (SERPA), Fobus, some Desantis, some safariland, Galco and others.

Category C would be high end Bianchi like Carylok, Safariland 070/0701/ALS etc.. and other fine superior quality holsters made with active retention and built to withstand holster grabs, gun grabs, wear and tear, and abuse during a scuffle etc...

Just my 02 and I hope my post puts perspective on what Retention truly is as it pertains to pistols vs just a container transporting an item.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; January 19th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    I just recently picked up a Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle Holster for my M&P9c. It is a high rise and hides almost the whole gun. It has a hidden thumb release. I love it.
    I have the same gun and the same holster. Also came with the hardware for belt attachment. I agree wholeheartedly. If they make it for your gun, take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I have the same gun and the same holster. Also came with the hardware for belt attachment. I agree wholeheartedly. If they make it for your gun, take a look.
    I will admit, I was skeptical on the holster at first. But, it's proved well for me. I love it. I modified it to fit my Crimson Trace Laser Grip.

*** Other awesome part about it is that it's got clothes material on the inside of the holster so it doesn't rough up your gun and leave marks on it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    This looks like a nice holster but how do you consider it a high ride holster. It looks like it rides at a normal duty holster height? For OC that is fine but for OWB CC it seems low. Am I misunderstanding the picture on their site?

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    This looks like a nice holster but how do you consider it a high ride holster. It looks like it rides at a normal duty holster height? For OC that is fine but for OWB CC it seems low. Am I misunderstanding the picture on their site?
    The ALS not a "high ride" design and is not intended for concealment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast