Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default beginner reloading

ok so ive been thinking alot lately about getting into reloading. and i think with some left over christmas money, im probably gunna end up buying a press and what not. im not really sure what all i need though. i know i need a press, a scale, and dyes. what else though? im am 100% clueless when it comes to reloading, so any help is good help. im more or less looking just to play around with custom loads, not real interested in bulk reloads. im thinking a cheap lee single stage press would work good, no?

also, im guessing this is a no, but is there a way to reload rimfire cartridges?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: beginner reloading

A lot depends on what you want to reload and how much. You can spend around $200 to get started to well over $1000.

Need input for a better answer.

BTW its dies not dyes.

no, rimfires are not reloadable in a practical sense.

(Delaware County)

Here's a partial list of stuff:

Reloading manuals (Hornady, Sierra, Speer, etc.)
    Reloading press
    Full length sizing die
    Bullet seating die
    Resizing lube
    Lube pad
    Neck lube brush
    Bullet puller
    Primer pocket cleaning tool
    Primer pocket uniforming tool
    Flash hole deburring tool
    Primer pocket reamer (removes military crimp)
    Priming tool
    Primers
    Bullets
    Digital calipers
    Headspace gauge
    Case trimmer
    Case neck deburring/chamfering tool
    Vibratory tumbler (for cleaning brass)
    Tumbler media
    Powder
    Powder measures
    Powder trickler
    Digital powder dispenser and/or scale
    Powder funnel
    Loading blocks
    Ammo boxes and labels

Some of this stuff is essential, some of it isn't, and some things are redundant.

The most important item on this list is the first one: get one or more reloading manuals, and read them like your life depends on it-- because it does. Once you know what you're doing, reloading isn't hard or complicated; in fact, it's very easy to make ammo that'll shoot every bit as well as the store-bought stuff.

But if you don't take the time to learn how to do it right FIRST, you could be in a world of hurt. I recommend getting the Hornady Reloading Handbook, 7th Edition for starters; it'll give you a good introduction to the basics of reloading.

DO NOT guess at how to do this stuff-- at best you'll end up getting frustrated and wasting a lot of time and money; at worst, you could ruin a gun or seriously injure yourself.

(Clearfield County)

Get a reloading book first,then read it when your done read it again.then consider what kind of press you want.Single stage presses work great but are the slowest to load ammo with,turret presses are faster and the progressive presses are the fastest.All the presses will load great ammo it just depends on how much ammo you want to load and how much time you have to do it.
    Steve

(Centre County)

Absolutely start with a reloading manual. I would suggest one of two to start, either "ABC's of Reloading" or my favorite starter book the Lyman Reloading manual. Either one will give you a lot of info to help you get started.

After reading (and understanding) the manual ask questions if you're not sure about something you've read. The look at equipment. Most of the major reloading companies make starter kits with everything you need to get started. After that it is adding goodies that you want.

IMO (since you are a first timer) get a good single stage press. It may be slower but it teaches you what you must do each and every time you reload a round of ammo. After you have been reloading a while then you can tailor your equipment to your shooting. You can always sell your unneeded equipment (I doubt that you would, most reloaders just add, never delete .

After you have gotten the basics out of the way then you will want to start picking up reloading manuals from the different bullet manufacturere, powder companies, etc. Don't forget getting info from on line sources.

As stated above, rimfire ammo is not reloadable.

If you ever need more info do not hesitate to ask here or PM me and I'll try to answer your questions. I've been reloading for 34 years now.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northumberland County)

+1 on getting a good press.

i see that lee has a cast press out for around $70 that looks like it may have potential, but other than that, their presses are junk.

there is no money to be saved on buying a POS press. if nothing less, an RCBS, hornaday, or other good, but cheaper press will have a higher resale value if you decide you dont like it or want to upgrade to a real expensive press like a dillon or redding.

(Adams County)

As has been mentioned the best place to start is to buy one or more reloading manuals. Reloading manuals have good information on the reloading process and descriptions of the equipment in addition to load data.

Probably the best bang for the buck in a quality reloading setup is the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. It has most of the essentials.

(Bucks County)

Arrow Re: beginner reloading

I agree on the load manuals (I found the Hornady and the Lee to be most instructive) and the RCBS Rockchucker press.

I'll also point out that an opportunity to try it out is coming in the not too distant (from you) Bucks County.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/training-...reloading.html

B

(Chester County)

thank you guys, i will deffinatly pick up a manual and ill probably go to the class in langhorne. looks like something i should do before jumping into this.

(Chester County)

DaveD, just to make sure im right before i order this. this is the hornaday book you were talking about, right?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...672&hasJS=true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast