Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Coalition for Peace Action Can't Let a Tradegy Go To Waste

This is the second Anti Opinion in 2 days in the Bucks Courier Times. This time the Rev. Robert Moore is begging for support and plugging his website.
    The comments are positive in our favor. It's good to see not many Pennsylvanians are buying into his B.S.

BTW I'm Mr.Sauer in the comments
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news..._comment370975

The horrifying gun rampage in Tucson demonstrates again the devastating effects of allowing gun laws to be dictated by a lobby - the National Rifle Association and its allies.

While most media attention about this tragedy has focused on those who promote extremism and violent imagery, it is difficult to reign in such enticement to violence as long as it's not overt and targeting specific people. We should strive for curtailing it, but I'm not optimistic about chances for improvement.

But what is quite doable, and has been done by almost every other industrialized nation, is to have sensible gun laws that would prevent anyone who might succumb to such provocations from obtaining a gun. The failure to do this amounts to allowing individual citizens access to weapons of mass destruction.

A case in point is the assault weapons ban in New Jersey. I'm proud that the Coalition for Peace Action and our project, Ceasefire NJ, were instrumental in New Jersey becoming the second state in the nation to enact such a ban in 1991. In 1993, we succeeded in beating back an attempt by the NRA to rescind the state ban, which remains the strongest such law in the nation.

Inspired by our success in New Jersey and other states, a National Assault Weapons Ban was passed in 1994. It banned ammunition clips of over 10 bullets, such as the 33-round magazine the shooter in Tucson used. Tragically, the national ban expired in 2004, when the Bush Administration together with the NRA prevented it from being extended. So the shooter was able to legally buy the clips he used to wreak havoc in Tucson.

Other sensible gun violence prevention laws, like closing the loophole that allows guns of all sorts to be sold at gun shows with no background checks, have also been repeatedly thwarted by the NRA.

When guns are so easily accessible, it's no wonder that the U.S. has by far the highest rate of gun violence in the industrialized world. Over 30,000 Americans die each year of gunshot wounds. The Tucson rampage is simply the latest dramatic episode in what is a daily occurrence in the U.S.

If we want to get serious about preventing such mass gun violence in the future, we must reinstate the National Assault Weapons Ban and pass other sensible gun violence prevention laws. Such laws would not inhibit gun use by hunters or sportsmen. They would only be sensible steps to make our streets and communities protected from such senseless carnage in the future.

Any reader wanting more information or to get involved in efforts to prevent gun violence can visit the Coalition for Peace Action web site at www.peacecoalition.org; or phone its office at (609)924-5022.

The Rev. Robert Moore, executive director

Coalition for Peace Action

And yes I stole one of GL's lines about the suv.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Coalition for Peace Action Can't Let a Tradegy Go To Waste

Well, I just called the good Reverend Moore and left a message. I asked him where he got his data that supports the 30,000 Americans killed by guns every year. For the last several years, the average death rate by firearms has been around 10,000. I stated so and asked if he would submit an article correcting his mistaken quote to reflect the actual death by firearms rate.

Left my name and number so I'm hoping he'll call back.

CL

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Well, I just called the good Reverend Moore and left a message. I asked him where he got his data that supports the 30,000 Americans killed by guns every year. For the last several years, the average death rate by firearms has been around 10,000. I stated so and asked if he would submit an article correcting his mistaken quote to reflect the actual death by firearms rate.

Left my name and number so I'm hoping he'll call back.

CL
    Actually he's right. The number is around 30,000. About 10,000 are homicides. Most are suicides.

Mr. Moore and I just spoke. He gave me the websites where he got his figures from and he is correct, its about 30,000 a year die as a result of firearms, many self inflicted, ie Suicide.

He was so wrong on many points and as I tried to correct him on verbage, clip instead of magazine, fully automatic clip, that GLOCK pistols are 100% illegal in New Jersey and should be eveywhere, and of course, bring back assault weapons ban and magazine restrictions.

Nice fellow but like so many others, absolutely refuse to allow a word to get in otherwise and over shadow and outspeak the person whom they are engaging. Seemed like a nice guy, passionate about his side of the fence but unwilling to learn terms or listen to another side. No arguing or foul language or anything like that but he just pushed his side of the issue and didn't want to listen to me in any way.

CL

(Lancaster County)

The Reverend, eh? Where are all the screechers who screech "separation of church and state" on this one? Oh that's right, it's OK to have double standards if you're liberal.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

California's assault weapon ban didn't help them today.

(Washington County)

The Reverand got his butt handed to him in the comments section. I loved it. Rep to you Mr. Sauer!
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Bucks County)

The Lib media machine has gathered together to beat the ban guns drum. These pinkos will never give up, thus eternal vigilance is required by us all.

Unfortunately the Indoctrination squads (Public Schools) brainwash new cadets year in and year out. It's a wonder that any young folks have any pro interest for the 2A.

Joon the NRA.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    The Lib media machine has gathered together to beat the ban guns drum. These pinkos will never give up, thus eternal vigilance is required by us all.

Unfortunately the Indoctrination squads (Public Schools) brainwash new cadets year in and year out. It's a wonder that any young folks have any pro interest for the 2A.

Joon the NRA.
    ^This^ Constant letters, phone calls, and e-mails. Make it known that your pro-2A and vote and support accordinly(sp).
    It lets them know your paying attention.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Delaware County)

yeah, since not having guns stops criminals from killing people.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty