Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default A Thought on the 2A Militia Argument

Ok so I know technically every male between 17 and 45? is a member of the militia, and that the right to bear arms is an individual right anyway.

BUT, what if we formed a "militia"? I think if a militia were to be organized it would have many benefits overall to the PA shooting community. It would be more of a club, you join pay dues, and we hold events and the like.

What I'm thinking is that there would be a very basic chain of command to make it a militia instead of just a club.

Here are some benefits members could expect:

Marksmanship Training
    First aid training
    Mentor Programs
    Lethal Force legality training
    Group Shoots
    Basic squad tactics

It could offer gun classes to the general public once in a while for free as a PR sort of deal.

I know the idea is kind of stupid, but I imagine this as a glorified gun club. The very knowledgeable could train the new, dues would make obtaining an instructor easier, and if something horrible (like katrina) ever happened there would be a relatively organized and well trained group of individuals who could help protect each other.

I understand geographic location would interfere, but if there was an emergency you could count on a bunch of help once you got to a pre-determined location.

Again this is very rough and unorganized so take it easy on me, but I think this idea has a great deal of potential.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: A Thought on the 2A Militia Argument

I just googled this and it seems that most militias are racist, completely crazy, or a mix of the two.

This would be more of a nice group who could pool their knowledge, training, and resources to further the 2A and for general entertainment; and in times of emergency band together for safety.

The more I think about it the more I think it's a great idea, but I don't know how it would be received after reading about the other morons that call themselves militias.

Just to clarify this would NOT be a racist, sexist, or agenda driven organization. It would just be a bunch of good people pooling their knowledge and training to help better each other, and of course protect each other in times of crisis.

For example, I am a computer nerd and I could manage anything computer related, there are former military memebers who could teach us squad tactics, EMTs that could teach us CPR, lawyers that could help out members (maybe for a slight discount), LEO that could teach us the best way to engage LEO, and etc.

If anyone is seriously interested please feel free to share ideas , opinions, and the like.

EDIT: Just to clarify when I say engage LEO I mean speak to them, move around them, and generally the proper way to show respect and get respect. I DON'T mean engage as in combat; I mean engage as in interact with.
    Last edited by jon'76; November 30th, 2007 at 05:30 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I would be very much interested in this and also have a few people that would feel the same. Have an official PA Mititia.

(Lehigh County)

IIRC the gov'mint is supposed to also supply the ammo.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    IIRC the gov'mint is supposed to also supply the ammo.
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter....

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Lancaster County)

According to PA State Law it is illegal to be involved in Paramilitary training.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Washington County)

What is the definition of paramilitary training? Sounds kind of broad.

I dont think any well meaning and peaceful people that get together under the guise of a militia would escape the wrath of the media (who likes sensationalism) and the government (who doesn't like competition)

Besides... the militia is the whole of the people. Being as one of those, you can go out and get classes and train to your heart's content.

(Jefferson County)

We are already part of the militia, we dont need to start one even if it were legal.

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
    (b) The classes of the militia are—
    (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(Allegheny County)

There are plenty of private "groups" out there that conduct military training together and have a chain of command and are "legal". The US government keeps a close eye on most of them and waits for an "opportunity" to take them down.

Now if you wanted to organize Pennsylvanians into a pro-gun group to support our rights in PA and provide classes and competitions (like the NRA does nationally), that might work. Sounds like a full time job to me.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; November 30th, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
    Toujours pręt

(Cambria County)

I would not mind joining a "pro-gun group."

How exactly is 'paramilitary training' defined?

I could potentially offer training in small unit tactics if this thing gets going.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast