Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default pa no longer issuing non-res ltcf by mail?

I was talking to some va folks today and I was told that pa will no longer issue non-res ltcf via mail and that you have to apply in person? is this true? if so when did this happen?

(Butler County)

Default Re: pa no longer issuing non-res ltcf by mail?

The only possible reason I can imagine for this is the "new" IT system that was deployed. According to Denny Nau's (Centre County Sheriff's website on the subject:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARM

ACT 66 2005 THE STANDARDIZATION & MODERNIZATION OF PROCESS SYSTEM
    This new statewide system will change the method of completing the application and the manner the Sheriff issues the newly developed identification type license to carry a firearm.
    Once implemented the applicant will have to appear at the Sheriff’s Office where their driver’s license will be electronically scanned to capture needed data. The applicant will also have to be photographed and sign the electronic signature pad to complete the process. The system need be compatible with the Commonwealth’s Information Technology Standard.
    By law the new system must be implemented no later than May 2011, however it is expected that all Sheriffs will have the new system in place by the end of 2010
    If there is a cause, this is probably it. One probably has to show up to put one's driver's license in the scanner.

I just spoke with the nice lady at Sheriff Nau's office last week and she said at the moment they are still issuing via mail. But to hurry because they don't really know when they are going to have to stop.

can we get some citation of law in this discussion

As posted above by pyld, the new system will require that the applicant's DL be scanned, and also will require that the person sign an electronic signature pad.

So, while the new wording does not specifically say that non-residents cannot apply by mail, how else would one comply with the above 2 requirements?

I suppose someone could mail their DL in to be scanned, but still, they'd have to sign the electronic pad.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; January 17th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    can we get some citation of law in this discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    As posted above by pyld, the new system will require that the applicant's DL be scanned, and also will require that the person sign an electronic signature pad.

So, while the new wording does not specifically say that non-residents cannot apply by mail, how else would one comply with the above 2 requirements?

I suppose someone could mail theirDL in to be scanned, but still, they'd have to sign the electronic pad.
    Seems pretty clear to me: (ETA but I sent an email to Sheriff Nau for clarification on the non resident LTCF and this new law)

http://www.dennynau.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=34

Once implemented the applicant will have to appear at the Sheriff’s Office where their driver’s license will be electronically scanned to capture needed data. The applicant will also have to be photographed and sign the electronic signature pad to complete the process.
    Last edited by soberbyker; January 17th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

(Bucks County)

Hopefully, once this does go into effect ALL of the sheriffs will follow law and issue to Non-residents. At least our bordering neighbors will still be able to obtain them easily.

thanks for the discussion and the clarification. i was looking for an actual statute since i don't trust stuff on some shefiffs website. it sucks that pa has gone this way, shall issue for some, won't issue for others.

i just sent off my app because i knew this was coming...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    thanks for the discussion and the clarification. i was looking for an actual statute since i don't trust stuff on some shefiffs website. it sucks that pa has gone this way, shall issue for some, won't issue for others.

In DELCO, where I live, or anywhere near here, I'd agree, however everything I've read over the years here on PAFOA suggest Sheriff Nau of Centre County to be extremely 2A friendly and helpful in obtaining a LTCF for non residents of PA. Personally I'll give what he says a little more weight.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast