Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help

Default Please Help

Ok...so I want to get an AR. I will have about $2000 to do it with. I would like to know how is the best way to go about spending my money on one..I want a accurate gun with good sights. I want a good forward grip, light and possible a laser sight. I want this to be a great rifle. One I can do anything I want to with, from plinking to shooting hogs to protection. Please feel free to put all the opinions you want to give. Thanks for the help!!!!

Default Re: Please Help

Is there anything else that I might be missing???

(Allegheny County)

make sure that the upper has self sealing stembolts.

Last edited by PaBimmerGuy; January 17th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

Your best bet is to look for one that you like from a quality manufacturer in the neighborhood of 1000-1200 then spend the rest on quality optics and the little accesories you want (vertical fore grip, sling, etc.) Check out BCM's complete rifles.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyinjoker View Post
    Ok...so I want to get an AR. I will have about $2000 to do it with. I would like to know how is the best way to go about spending my money on one..I want a accurate gun with good sights. I want a good forward grip, light and possible a laser sight. I want this to be a great rifle. One I can do anything I want to with, from plinking to shooting hogs to protection. Please feel free to put all the opinions you want to give. Thanks for the help!!!!
    You can get a real nice rifle with that kind of money as long as you do your homework. I suggest you buy the rifle in parts, upper and lower separately at the least. I suggest an upper and bolt carrier group from www.Bravocompanyusa.com ($510) and any lower you want as long as it has the right parts. www.spikestactical.com has complete lowers for around $250.00 and they use pretty good lower parts kits (not DPMS). I'd forget about the laser and go with a good red dot sight like Aimpoint and Eotech. I run mostly Daniel Defense handguards on my ARs. They are light, but they are a bit pricey.Good luck and DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Please Help

Ya' can't make a good choice without... THE CHART!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

Hint - the further left on the chart, the better your rifle!

war wagon....that was a great post glad it was put together...thanks

(Bucks County)

for two grand i would recommend you buy a Colt 6920 which can be had for about 1200 these days +/-. there are a lot of good AR15's on the market today and you don't need to spend 2 grand to get a good one. there are some lower tier models that you can get into for around 800 maybe a little less but they are good guns for the average Joe looking for an entry level AR15 and not planning on taking it to afghanistan. i would spend no more than 1200 and then buy a good red dot scope, extra mags and a case of ammo. i find lasers are impractical for rifles so my recommendation is to stay away from them because while they look cool you really need to become proficient with your iron sites and optics.

The following are all good guns and moderately priced:

STAG
    rock river
    bushmaster
    DPMS
    olympic
    SW

guns which will cost north of 1200 bucks

SW
    colt 6920/6940/6721
    noveski
    lwrc
    LMT
    ruger sr556
    POF
    Sig 516

in addition to the AR15 you might want to consider buying a SIG556 which is a good rifle and the price on them has dropped to below a grand and in some cases less than 900. if you want a sig 556 checkout tanners sports center in jamison, pa for the best prices.

good luck
    Last edited by wellcraft; January 18th, 2011 at 07:10 AM.

(Perry County)

When you mention pig hunting I cringe thinking of a .223 AR. Pigs are tough critters with exceptionally thick hide and dense bones. I do not think they should be hunted with a .223. So if you want to hunt pigs with an AR then you may need two uppers, as the heavier calibers will not be best for plinking?

Quote Originally Posted by flyinjoker View Post
    Find one without the stepped or maybe a target barrel, then add the accessories you want for yourself. Or you can do a build for yourself

if your gonna use it for hog hunting, maybe look at a .308 platform like tha DPMS, they can be found <$1k anymore, then add on the stuff your wanting and buy lots of ammo
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast