Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Thumbs down Delaware Valley Sports Center

So, I was out yesterday headed to Classic Pistol to further break in my new SR9c. I get there and it's PACKED. So I figure, I guess I can check out DVSC.

Well...I get there, and the guy at the counter was nice enough, but when I went to the range...what a shit hole. Freezing cold, brass and trash everywhere. Lighting was god awful, I could barely see my target, let alone know if I hit it. Half of the lanes weren't even operational, and there were clearly some gangbangers there just doing whatever they wanted.

One guy was just blasting the ceiling downrange with a shotgun laughing as the wood splintered away, and several times I was hit by fragments of the wood as it ricocheted. Another guy, walking around with gun in hand, LOADED from lane to lane behind his buddies, joking around and messing with them as they were shooting.

I shot my box and left. Never again will I go there, I'll just wait the extra time at CP.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Delaware Valley Sports Center

I'm amazed you shot your box, man. I'd have been the fuck OUT of there as soon as I saw them acting like morons with the rounds in the ceiling.
    Junior

(Philadelphia County)

Trust me, if I hadn't spent like 30 minutes in line at CP and already bought my ammo and stuff, I would've peaced out.

I didn't even want to complain to the guy running the place, because if he cared he would've chucked them out, he could see what they were doing from his CCTV's.

Learned my lesson of trying to hit a firing range at 3pm on a weekend though

[QUOTE=SAB215;1463286]So, I was out yesterday headed to Classic Pistol to further break in my new SR9c. I get there and it's PACKED. So I figure, I guess I can check out DVSC.

Well...I get there, and the guy at the counter was nice enough, but when I went to the range...what a shit hole. Freezing cold, brass and trash everywhere. Lighting was god awful, I could barely see my target, let alone know if I hit it. Half of the lanes weren't even operational, and there were clearly some gangbangers there just doing whatever they wanted.

One guy was just blasting the ceiling downrange with a shotgun laughing as the wood splintered away, and several times I was hit by fragments of the wood as it ricocheted. Another guy, walking around with gun in hand, LOADED from lane to lane behind his buddies, joking around and messing with them as they were shooting.

SO did you say something to the guy or sounds like you just burried your head in the sand? The lanes that were down were because of people with shotguns and not knowing what they were doing and nobody saying anything (hint, hint).
    Yes the place is not the best, but they are trying. Problem is assholes are everywhere and you didn't help by not speaking up. Let me guess, they had a gun...
    Yes it is cold, yes the lighting isn't great, but you didn't wait either.
    I go, I buy, I shoot...maybe if enough people help them out it will get better. They are good folks and they bought a shithole and are at least trying to make it better. Funny I walked in, maybe a half a dozen on the range and nobody was complaining. Here is the important part...I CLEANED UP MY BRASS and my lane and left, a little courtesy for the next folk...

I became a member there for a few reasons:

I can fire off my shotguns
    Cost. Membership is cheap, granted there are nicer ranges but why pay more just to shoot holes in paper.
    Proximity to where I live
    The guys that work there have always treated me right.

In the last year that I've being going there, once someone was handling their weapon inappropriately, which was quickly corrected. Other than that I've never had a problem. If I see an issue, I'm quick to speak up as I'm present and it concerns my own safety.

A lot of LEOs practice there as well, which I find comforting and would hope that they would also speak up if there's an issue.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

Claytons has a range now, 8 lanes, very nice but a bit small.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Philadelphia County)

True, it can be freezing cold on the range and it's not nearly as nice as the other range of which I'm a member, (Philadelphia Gun and Archery Club) but it's close to my house and they let you shoot your own ammo.

He must've came on a bad day. Every time I was there, the other shooters were courteous, cautious, and swept up their own brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    True, it can be freezing cold on the range and it's not nearly as nice as the other range of which I'm a member, (Philadelphia Gun and Archery Club) but it's close to my house and they let you shoot your own ammo.

He must've came on a bad day. Every time I was there, the other shooters were courteous, cautious, and swept up their own brass.
    Who doesn't let you shoot your own ammo?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Who doesn't let you shoot your own ammo?
    Most ranges in the city (inner city, i.e. -- I know DVSC is technically in Philadelphia). Being able to BYO is something maybe you take for granted in suburban ranges, but it's not the reality deep inside the city.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Most ranges in the city (inner city, i.e. -- I know DVSC is technically in Philadelphia). Being able to BYO is something maybe you take for granted in suburban ranges, but it's not the reality deep inside the city.
    True. At the other range, which is in South Philly, I must buy their ammo and it gets quite costly. I can spend $40-$60 in ammo each time I go there. DVSC isn't as nice or modern, but it's a lot more cost-effective to go there.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast