Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default AK front sight post question.

Hey guys. I was sighting in my new ak today. Everything went well and I ended up getting great results, HOWEVER, that front sight post seems really loose. Even before I got the tool I could turn it easily with my finger it seemed. Is that normal? How can I fix it? My only idea is a drop of lock tight somewhere, and that would be stupid in case I ever need to adjust it again.

I would shoot a grouping, adjust, and repeat. It started out shooting high, so lowered it little by little until I was where I needed to be. Only problem is, after every group I shot (3-4 shots), when I looked at the front sight again, it seemed to have changed a little. I could notice by keeping an eye on which way the little notch was facing that the tool fits into. Seemed to turn maybe 1/4 of a turn?...

Its a brand new IO ak. The front site is simply a threaded post with a notch below the top for the tool to fit into, nothing special. There doesnt seem to be anything keeping that from acting like a very loose screw. Im worried bc this is supposed to be my shtf rifle. Seems like just setting it down too hard could move the post, let alone fight zombies haha

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thanks

(Northampton County)

Default Re: AK front sight post question.

You're lucky - most of the damn things are so tight you need a pony, two full grown men and a boy to move the dang things. Adjust it to where you want it - mark it with white-out or something like that - unscrew the post - take it out, put drop of Lok-tite blue on the threads - replace - tighten down to your mark. Repeat as necessary. In most cases - the post is so tight it can't be adjusted and then the height adjustment is taken up by the rear sight slide. It's not unusual to see one set on 200 or 300 meters for 100 yard POI.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Indiana County)

The post should be split on the bottom, the split is spread out keeping it tight, you should be able to insert a flat screwdriver into the split, widening it in order to "tighten" it up.

(Lancaster County)

There is a split that is kind of bent outwards on the threaded end of the post. It basically is just a screw.

They are a bitch to get in however. I've noticed some where they are loose because the assembler had to reduce the outward bend of the threaded end just to get in into the front sight block.

You can either take it out, re-spread it, and then reinsert, or simply order a new one. They're cheap and precision options are available for under $10 that will give you better accuracy. They're also better designed with plastic filling the gap and holding tightly in place.

If you choose to re-spread, just be sure to heat up the metal first. In my experience they can break easily if you bend too quickly.

(Chester County)

like flathead suggested- try spreading it. Else, degrease the threads and put a dab of blue (medium) Loctite on it at the range before installation. Sight in/adjust before it cures (about 20 ~ 30 minutes)

(Lehigh County)

Thank you for the suggestions. I took out the post and shouldve a flathead in the back to widen it out. Seemed to tighten it a little bit. If you spread it too much you are correct it doesnt go back into the hole. I tried to spread it from the back while it was still in the rifle, but that just wasnt cutting it.....

I may just order an aftermarket front sight post if you guys say it will fit tighter...

(Washington County)

Easy solution - little bit of teflon tape for pipe threads will take up the looseness in the screw and it won't harden like loctite.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Easy solution - little bit of teflon tape for pipe threads will take up the looseness in the screw and it won't harden like loctite.
    you're right thats a good idea.