Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Smile Prospective first time gun owner

I'm a 21 yr old college student in Pittsburgh from out of state (MA to be specific, so I have MA-issued drivers license).

I have been going to the range recently and I anticipate a continued interest in shooting targets and improving my shooting skill level.

I'd like to buy a gun to cut down on rental costs (and other reasons) but I'm not too sure about what is the right set of procedures I should follow.

As I understand it, a permit is not required for purchasing a handgun in PA. What papers and ID should I have when I purchase a handgun at a store?

I am interested in this listing here for a Sig P229 9mm: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...emnum=10127725

Could someone help me go over the sequence of additional steps involved in buying a handgun online? From what I understand it must be transferred to a licensed dealer, and there will be some extra fees, and I can pick it up at the dealer?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Prospective first time gun owner

A PA gun store will not sell you a pistol without a Pennsylvania Drivers License or other state ID. So you will have to establish residency in Pennsylvania first. Not sure about surrounding states (like going to Cabelas in West Virginia)

To buy from someone like gunbroker.com, you have to send it to a FFL in Pennsylvania who then does the background check and state paper work. I am not certain but you will probably need to be a PA resident for an FFL transfer as well.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Tioga County)

The short answer is you can't receive a pistol in PA you would need to go home to MA and buy it there. Either that or change residency to PA.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Jefferson County)

Under normal circumstances you would not be able to receive a handgun in a state other than your home state. However, as a full time college student you will be able to purchase a handgun in PA. You will need proof of "residency", like utility bills, proof of college attendance, etc.

Some FFL may not do a sales/transfer to full time college students, but others will.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Under normal circumstances you would not be able to receive a handgun in a state other than your home state. However, as a full time college student you will be able to purchase a handgun in PA. You will need proof of "residency", like utility bills, proof of college attendance, etc.

Some FFL may not do a sales/transfer to full time college students, but others will.
    Another benefit of changing residency to PA is you can then acquire a LTCF. This little piece of plastic will make ownership an easier endeavor.

When you come to realize the draconian gun laws of MA and the relative sanity of PA laws.....your going to end up a PA resident anyway.

And kudos to you for 1) looking for reliable information on ownership, 2) for seeking legal ownership and 3) for wanting ownership.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Another benefit of changing residency to PA is you can then acquire a LTCF. This little piece of plastic will make ownership an easier endeavor.

When you come to realize the draconian gun laws of MA and the relative sanity of PA laws.....your going to end up a PA resident anyway.

And kudos to you for 1) looking for reliable information on ownership, 2) for seeking legal ownership and 3) for wanting ownership.

That and tuition is usually cheaper for residents of the state in which the college is located.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

What about long guns? Since a pistol looks to be more trouble than it's worth in my current situation, what about a .22 rifle?

Can I buy a longgun as a nonresident in PA?

(Allegheny County)

The first thing I'd suggest is that you come out to join us at one of the monthly group shoots that are held at Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club. There is a new thread posted each month in the Shoots & Range Trips subforum.

A lot of friendly folks that are usually more than willing to let you shoot their stuff and talk about guns. A lot of people have gone on to become club members (including myself) after having attended the group shoots.

The legal issues, I can't help you with so much.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

I would love to attend one of these meetings but I don't have a car...