Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re-arsenaled= combat vet correct?

My girl friend went ahead and picked up a mosin nagant for me for Xmas. I had been talking about it for awhile and she thought she would surprise me. Luckily, the salesman actually helped her pick out a clean one for me. Nice crown, nice wood, brass handgaurds ends, mint rifling, smooth action.

I didn't think she would surprise me with the actual rifle so I was sceptical that she would actually pick a decent rifle out. Upon further inspection, all numbers match but the trigger gaurd/ magazine and the butt plate. Those two match each other and there is a nice stock repair near the butt plate. At first I was alittle disappointed but then realized that this translates to the gun actually seeing combat. Am I correct in this assumption?

It's a 43 izzy with matching bolt/ action group so no worries there. I just think it's so much cooler that in all likelihood, this 91/30 saw action on the eastern front. That's just badass.
    Last edited by Zet70; January 13th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Re-arsenaled= combat vet correct?

Anything is possible. The date is consistent with the possibility, but an expert would be needed to say for sure if it's even possible to tell.

GB

Edit: Here is more information that I found in a quick google search. It sounded like valid points but again, not sure.

"If it was made at a time when the enemy controlled the factory then it is highly likely it was used in war. Almost all weapons made using captured gun factories by the enemy are used as they would not have made the gun if they were not desperate for weapons.

Lastly, examine the barrel. If the barrel is well worn with the rifling grooves showing heavy wear and the barrel just in front of the firing chamber pitted, then it is quite likely the gun was heavily used without a lot of cleaning, indicating it was used in war where heavy use with little cleaning is more likely than if it was just used as a sporting gun."
    Last edited by GreenBlood10; January 13th, 2011 at 12:10 PM.

(Erie County)

Pics, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Congrats on the Mosin. That's the allure of mil surps in my opinion: the history. It's pretty much impossible to know for sure if a particular gun was used or how much or where, but there's a good possibility that a 1943 Mosin saw combat somewhere while pushing the Germans west. The thought of it being in the hands of some 17 year old Russian boy as he took cover from MG42 fire... pretty cool.

That's why I'm not into modern guns. To me they have no history, no soul. But be careful 'cause mil surps are addictive once that history bug bites.

(Berks County)

Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys!

I'll say their addictive! I'm already pondering a 1917 BSA enfield at a local shop to join the mosin. If only ammo were cheaper!

The buttplate and mag both have a serial number which has a strike through it and the bolt/ action serial stamped under the old number. The stock repair is a chunk which was taken from the stock and then filled and varnished over. Whatever made that chunk took the buttplate with it too. If you look carefully, you can see in the top left ofthe stock the rectangular repair outline.

I'll take more pics when I get home but just seeing that wreath with hammer and sickle is too cool. Forgot to mention that the bayonet is also matching.

Taking her to the range today for the first time too!
    Last edited by Zet70; January 13th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

(York County)

What kind of ammunition are you shooting? Surplus or commercial?

I bought some surplus Yugo ammo from ammoman.com, I believe it was manufactured in the 70's, but this ammo had some noticeable increase in felt recoil over the commercial stuff put out by Wolf. You'll enjoy the bang!

GB

(Berks County)

Just the box of herters in the pic and then I picked up a paper wrapped pack of 70's vintage which appears to be cased in copper I think. Those are the rounds in the ammo belt which I bought on accident thinking it was the elastic butt stock sock.

(York County)

Nice I thought you were heading out to the range today to do some shooting?

GB

(Berks County)

Took it to the range, clover leafing at 25 yards, slightly high at 50 and 75. Not hitting a 10" target at 100. But, I cant see that far lol.

Ordered a scope so Ill post updates. So far Im in love.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Took it to the range, clover leafing at 25 yards, slightly high at 50 and 75. Not hitting a 10" target at 100. But, I cant see that far lol.

Ordered a scope so Ill post updates. So far Im in love.
    These rifles were sighted in with the bayonets attached. If you shoot it without the bayonet you tend to shoot some 6-10 inches from POA. Usually to the right I believe. You can adjust the sight to shoot without the bayonet though.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast