Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default The Evils of Extended Magazine Releases/Run Your Glock Mags Over with your Car

Long story short, I traded a member for a Glock 19. Love the gun, hated the extended mag release, because if worn in a IWB holster it would release the mag when I sat down. I like to sit down. Sooo, I took the release out, and ended up putting it in a Glock 27. The way the 27 sits in the same holster it didn't give me any problems, until today.

I went to the range, got there and took the 27 out of the holster and found there was no mag in the gun... I used a large amount of profanity and looked around. Couldn't find it. I was pissed beyond words. "Somewhere out there is a Glock 27 mag with 9 Silvertips in it... *&#*%#*%*"

I went to Atlantic Tactical on my way home from the range to get a factory mag release. They didn't have any... I get home and lo and behold, what do I find on the street? A Glock 27 mag!! It appeared to have been run over and packed down into the snow. There were actually tire tracks over it. If I was smart I would have taken a picture, but I was just so happy I found it I snatched it up.

I left something out, and I don't wanna go back and re-write this, so I'll just add it here. When I left to go to the range I took a spill on some ice on my way out the door. Where I fell is exactly where I found the mag.

The good news is you can run a Glock mag over with a car and it will be fine, cosmetically at least. I'll have to go give this mag a thorough test before I carry it. It really looks untouched though. I'm sorry this thread is a bit disappointing as far as pics go. Here's some Silvertips drying out.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(York County)

Default Re: The Evils of Extended Magazine Releases/Run Your Glock Mags Over with your Car

Glad you were able to locate everything in the end. I have the extended mag release installed on my G27 which is being carried IWB as we speak and I have not had any problems with the magazine being released accidentally. I can definitely see how it can happen...thanks for the heads up though.

GB

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: The Evils of Extended Magazine Releases/Run Your Glock Mags Over with your Car

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood10 View Post
    Glad you were able to locate everything in the end. I have the extended mag release installed on my G27 which is being carried IWB as we speak and I have not had any problems with the magazine being released accidentally. I can definitely see how it can happen...thanks for the heads up though.

GB
    Certain holsters won't affect it. Some most definitely will.

I should know better and I'm an idiot for thinking it was ok. Since I don't use an extension on the 27 mags I've only got 2 fingers in the gun and sometimes that makes rotating my hand to the mag release a little tough. I'm going to suck it up and train myself to use a factory release.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Jefferson County)

Glad you found your mag, and that it appears to be in working condition..

Never had that problem with my wheelguns though.. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I believe it. I run a cheapo Galco Stow and Go. Most of the other times I run it OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa.

GB

(Delaware County)

No extended controls on carry guns. Glad you found out the easy way.

(Bucks County)

Nice!!!

Yeah no-go on the ext mag release for carrying.

I always favored glock magazines from a durability/reliability standpoint. Just a really tough design.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Philadelphia County)

Interesting... I carry a Glock 35 in an IWB hoslter, and I have even carried it in a belly band holster and I never had any problems with the extended mag release. Maybe it's because It's a full size gun.

Holy Jesus man, re-size your picture.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Holy Jesus man, re-size your picture.
    ^^^ What he said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast