Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Armchair QB - what would you have done in my situation?

Had a recent possible issue, and thought I handled it well, but wanted to run it by collective board and get some other input, as to better handle it in the future..

My wife, her sister, and I were leaving a mall in Wilkes-Barre. As we walked towards the doors, I noticed in the reflection of a storefront, 2 guys following us at some distance. Not a huge deal, but it did put me on alert.. their posture and mannerisms were what did it mostly.

As we went outside, I noticed 2 more hoody-wearing guys met up with the first 2 and on a brief glance back at them, all 4 were looking in our direction and one or 2 were making some motions.

I quietly said "don't ask why, just walk quickly and don't look back, and get in the car" to the wife and sister, dropped back so they were in front of me, unzipped my winter jacket to allow better access to my Kimber (OWB), and switched the keyfob for the car into my left hand, unlocking it so they could get in.

Our increased pace kept their distance at around 50-100', and I noticed they had fanned out a little.. The girls got in the car with me right behind, and since I had backed into the spot, we quickly pulled away. (As I got to the car, I did draw my weapon and put it on my lap, safety on)

I've been backing into parking spots instinctively since I was first a volunteer fireman back in 2000, and I had never been more happy to have done so that that night..

What would you have done in the same situation? None of them spoke directly to us or actually made a threat, but I wasn't about to find out if they all wanted a stick of gum.
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

Default Re: Armchair QB - what would you have done in my situation?

All good but one thing, never ever unholster your weapon until you are going to use it. Shit happens and what if's can go on forever but the bottom line is, a weapon not secured is like anything else rolling around loose in a car. If you had to stop quick, they pull out a car to block you, jump in front of your car, etc....that gun would have gone on the floor board where I'm sure it would have been of no use. The "Time" it takes to unholster a holstered firearm is ZERO if you have training under your belt vs searching for it on the floor of the car, while under stress, and bad things happening.

CL

(Westmoreland County)

You didn't mention whether or not the guys continued to follow you after they fanned out. If so, yes, you most definately acted with due diligance. If not then better safe than sorry. Either way, kudos to your SA.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    All good but one thing, never ever unholster your weapon until you are going to use it. Shit happens and what if's can go on forever but the bottom line is, a weapon not secured is like anything else rolling around loose in a car. If you had to stop quick, they pull out a car to block you, jump in front of your car, etc....that gun would have gone on the floor board where I'm sure it would have been of no use. The "Time" it takes to unholster a holstered firearm is ZERO if you have training under your belt vs searching for it on the floor of the car, while under stress, and bad things happening.

CL
    I'll concur with Custom. It's a subtle, but significant, difference in preparedness.

Otherwise, very well done, and thanks for the reminder.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

We'll never know if you were in a bad situation because you went with gut instinct and maintained situational awareness. In my book that is perfect. I do understand why you unholstered and that may have been a bad idea, there are pros and cons to the move. I wasn't there so I'll not comment either way. As for backing into a spot, I've been doing that all my life. My thinking is, I may not be in a hurry when I arrive someplace, but I might be when I'm leaving. Plus, either way your going to have to back up, might as well get it over with.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Northampton County)

CL
    I would tend to agree with the above. The gun would have been better off in the holster. Aside from that.....good. You had your eyes open.

CL
    Good point about unholstering, and point taken!

My thinking/fear was that they were going to close the gap between us and would be at the side window (bad for me) / in front of the car (bad for them) before I could pull out of the spot..

Perhaps sweeping the coat back as I got in would have been the better plan...

ScotsGuards - Yes, they were all still headed in our direction.
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: Armchair QB - what would you have done in my situation?

You had good situational awareness. You were using reflective surfaces to see that there was somebody following you. You did what a real man does and made sure that you were between the possible threat and your family. Good work IMO.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Philadelphia County)

Sounds like you did the right thing.

One comment about backing into spaces. I've always been of the mind to park nose in, and if parked at the curb to make sure wheels turned toward the sidewalk. The idea being that it makes your care less attractive to a thief because it's a few extra seconds time to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Sounds like you did the right thing.

One comment about backing into spaces. I've always been of the mind to park nose in, and if parked at the curb to make sure wheels turned toward the sidewalk. The idea being that it makes your care less attractive to a thief because it's a few extra seconds time to get away.
    I miss Frankentruck......nobody wanted it, everyone was afraid of it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast