Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Colt M16 BCG

Default Colt M16 BCG

Is a Colt M16a1/A2 BCG that has had its carrier converted to SA any good? My understanding is that Colt converted them by cutting the bottom half of the sear on the bolt carrier.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; January 11th, 2011 at 03:02 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Colt M16 BCG

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Is a Colt M16a1/A2 BCG that has had its carrier converted to SA any good? My understanding is that Colt converted them by cutting the bottom half of the sear on the bolt carrier.
    The new semi-auto only Colt Defense carbines (6920, 6940, etc.) come with full-on M-16 bolt carriers. They never really needed to cut away the rear underside of the carriers like they used to in the 80s and 90s. The auto sears go in the lowers, and the bolt carrier can't make the rifle fire full-automatic without an M-16 hammer, selector, disconnector, and auto sear.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Colt M16 BCG

[quote=spacemanvic;1456949]Is a Colt M16a1/A2 BCG that has had its carrier converted to SA any good? quote]

FUNCTIONAL? Yes. "Good?" No.

The extra weight of the F/A carrier is what's useful about it in a semiautomatic rifle; helps with cycling the rifle more effectively. It'll FUNCTION, but you'd be better off with a FULL carrier.

[QUOTE=The_War_Wagon;1457025]
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Is a Colt M16a1/A2 BCG that has had its carrier converted to SA any good? quote]

FUNCTIONAL? Yes. "Good?" No.

The extra weight of the F/A carrier is what's useful about it in a semiautomatic rifle; helps with cycling the rifle more effectively. It'll FUNCTION, but you'd be better off with a FULL carrier.
    Thats what I was thinking. Found a site with a list of weights for a number of BCG's and the modified Colt came in at the lightest.

(Luzerne County)

Even though the added weight helps with cycling in the carbine length gas tube I've always been curious about the technicality of a full auto carrier in regards to the rules. As I understand it, any part intended for full auto function is not allowed. Since everyone sells full auto carriers I assume the rule only applies to the fire control group but since it is an assumption, can anyone chime in for specifics? Just curious. Thanks.

(Delaware County)

ATF letter RE:M-16 bolt carriers in AR-15 rifles attached. There is another one floating around, but I seem to have lost my copy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Even though the added weight helps with cycling in the carbine length gas tube I've always been curious about the technicality of a full auto carrier in regards to the rules. As I understand it, any part intended for full auto function is not allowed. Since everyone sells full auto carriers I assume the rule only applies to the fire control group but since it is an assumption, can anyone chime in for specifics? Just curious. Thanks.
    I dont know specifics, but you are fine to use one.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    ATF letter RE:M-16 bolt carriers in AR-15 rifles attached. There is another one floating around, but I seem to have lost my copy.
    Good clarification in the last sentence. "If it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to posses and make."

Thanks for the pictures, saved for posterity.