Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Forest County)

Default Handgun Condensation

I CC but i can not at work and am forced to leave my gun in the car per company policy. It's winter of course so i am wondering about condensation every day when it warms up getting back in the vehicle. My question is can this do anything to the ammo or gun going through this getting cold and warm every day creating condensation ? Keeping it while working on my possession is out of the question, until i get a smaller one, lol.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Handgun Condensation

Condensation typically won't take place unless you come out of the cold DIRECTLY into a heated area. Being in the car, and then starting the car and everything warming up together shouldn't cause any problems. To be on the safe side, when you take it indoors, wipe everything down. Check the ammo to see what effect the cold/warm cycle is having on it a take the appropriate action (wiping, drying, etc.). The cold/warm cycle shouldn't affect the ammo, it takes long periods at high temp or cold temp that to affect the ammo components, if it affects it at all. I once left some ammo and powder in my parents attic for 3 years while I was overseas and I didn't see any degradation of the ammo or the powder.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Condensation typically won't take place unless you come out of the cold DIRECTLY into a heated area. Being in the car, and then starting the car and everything warming up together shouldn't cause any problems. To be on the safe side, when you take it indoors, wipe everything down. Check the ammo to see what effect the cold/warm cycle is having on it a take the appropriate action (wiping, drying, etc.). The cold/warm cycle shouldn't affect the ammo, it takes long periods at high temp or cold temp that to affect the ammo components, if it affects it at all. I once left some ammo and powder in my parents attic for 3 years while I was overseas and I didn't see any degradation of the ammo or the powder.
    Not that it matters too much, but my sentiments, as well. At the most, you may get a "patina" finish on your brass, which does not affect anything, though it may cause a little sticking when ejecting. Just wipe your ammo occasionally if you are concerned. Ammo can take quite a bit before it goes bad.

(Forest County)

Hey thx a lot !! I wasn't quite sure and was wondering. I appreciate the info !! It's a newer purchase and of course i want to make sure it's taken care of properly. Just wasn't sure what the effect would be on a daily basis and lately it's been colder than a witch's.....well you know, lol. Thx again !!

(Luzerne County)

I cannot begin to tell you how many times in a shift I go from inside a heated car or office, to freezing cold outside. I have yet to see an issue or problem with condensation.

(Monroe County)

If you're worred about condensation do what I do with my camera equipment: drop it in a zip lock plastic bag before you go inside and let it warm up before removing.