Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default FYI - Philly Gun Permit Unit Closed 1/3-1/18

Went down to drop off my LTCF application this morning and found a sign taped to the door that the unit was closed from January 3- January 18th for equipment upgrades.

Figured I'd pass it along in case anyone was planning on heading over this week.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: FYI - Philly Gun Permit Unit Closed 1/3-1/18

They are upgrading to the new system Have to transfer all of the current info into the new system, get training and then start processing with the new system.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgaffney View Post
    Went down to drop off my LTCF application this morning and found a sign taped to the door that the unit was closed from January 3- January 18th for equipment upgrades.
    Philly already makes it a point to violate the statutory requirement of issuing or refusing to issue a license within 45 days of receipt of application. How could they possibly justify not taking applications at this time by making it completely possible to have a person at that office receive them? Call up Lisa King to get a sitdown about a policy matter and then swoop in and hand her your application; after all, she is the chief of police of the city of the first class. (Bonus points if you try to hold her criminally liable when you don't have a license in 45 days...).

Taking PICS down and not accepting BG check requests, making transfers impossible... Taking the gun permit unit down and not accepting applications, making receipt impossible... These are simply denials of rights (on top of denials of rights), and they are unacceptable.
    Last edited by MDJschool; January 10th, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: lisa king is someone else

(Philadelphia County)

good to know i think.

i had mine filled out waiting to be sent in.

the reference sheet is voluntary isnt it? i still got mine to fill it out but its not fully complete. it doesnt have the persons id number. is it still ok to hand it in like that, since its voluntary?

(Lycoming County)

I was in the Lycoming County Sheriff's Office on Friday (turning in a fugitive that skipped Bail) and the Office was ripped apart. I asked the Sheriff about it and he stated that it was for the LTCF Photo equipment and such. While I was there a woman came in to fill out a LTCF application. She was given a clipboard, since there was no counter, and an application with an apology for the mess.

Be safe (and work right through the mess).

Scott

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Call up Lisa King to get a sitdown about a policy matter and then swoop in and hand her your application; after all, she is the chief of police of the city of the first class.
    Charles Ramsey is the chief. King is a lieutenant and in charge of the "Gun Permit and Tracking Unit".

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by beex215 View Post
    the reference sheet is voluntary isnt it? i still got mine to fill it out but its not fully complete. it doesnt have the persons id number. is it still ok to hand it in like that, since its voluntary?
    According to the UFA and regulations promulgated under it, all of it but the uniform form designed and distributed by the PSP is voluntary/unnecessary. No fingerprints, no interviews, no reference questionnaires, no extra pages. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109. "(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police." "(e) Issuance of license.-- (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license." "(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license . . ." See also: 37 Pa.Code. § 33.114. 37 Pa.Code. § 33.131.

However, Philly doesn't believe in superior or supreme law, so you can expect to be denied a license for failure to comply with any of their unlawful requirements.

(Philadelphia County)

that stuff blows my mind. i just re read the reference sheet and its missing DRIVERS license. the person doesnt have one of those anyway. i think i can leave it as n/a. it does say state id number.

no interviews, questionnaires..whats the point in references then?

(Dauphin County)

that stuff blows my mind. i just re read the reference sheet and its missing DRIVERS license. the person doesnt have one of those anyway. i think i can leave it as n/a. it does say state id number.

no interviews, questionnaires..whats the point in references then?
    Ah, when I said "interviews", I meant the in-person interview that Philly requires of its applicants, and "questionnaires" would be any information about references beyond their name and address provided for on the one-page uniform PSP application form.

There's no authorization for the PSP to have provided for references in the UFA. They nonetheless did anyway, and put two spots on their one-page uniform form for references. Presumably, the issuing authority can call those persons to investigate according to the powers in § 6109(d), probably particularly to adjudge 'character and reputation'; however, the issuing authority may not disclose information regarding the application for a license, and it's often assumed that includes asking direct questions about guns and licensing which would breach the statutory duty of confidentiality. See 18 Pa.C.S. 6111(i):
    "(i) Confidentiality.-- All information provided by the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant, including, but not limited to, the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant's name or identity, furnished by a potential purchaser or transferee under this section or any applicant for a license to carry a firearm as provided by section 6109 shall be confidential and not subject to public disclosure. In addition to any other sanction or penalty imposed by this chapter, any person, licensed dealer, State or local governmental agency or department that violates this subsection shall be liable in civil damages in the amount of $1,000 per occurrence or three times the actual damages incurred as a result of the violation, whichever is greater, as well as reasonable attorney fees."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgaffney View Post

Figured I'd pass it along in case anyone was planning on heading over this week.
    2 weeks? Must be because Philly is a Union city....

good to know i think.

i had mine filled out waiting to be sent in.

The instructions do say...emphasis mine...

4. NOTE: Failure to provide (2) references (NOT FAMILY MEMBERS), as required on your
    application, will result in your application being denied, and forfeiture of your application fee. Enclosed
    are two references information sheets that your references may use for their convenience.
    References
    should include name, address, date of birth and PA State ID or drivers license number at the top of the
    form.
    Sounds like the extra sheets are optional to me...
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; January 10th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast