Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Kimber Pro Carry II vs. SA Operator

Looking for a carry 1911. How does the Kimber Pro Carry II compare to the Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator? They both have forged aluminum frames & 4" barrels. I think they cost about the same, but the Operator has a few more features (night sights & rail).

Default Re: Kimber Pro Carry II vs. SA Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Looking for a carry 1911. How does the Kimber Pro Carry II compare to the Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator? They both have forged aluminum frames & 4" barrels. I think they cost about the same, but the Operator has a few more features (night sights & rail).
    I guess I really shouldn't comment on this as I've never owned or shot either weapon and we all have our preferences but for the average bear carrying, rail system and night sights are just not needed. Bells & Whistle's are great marketing and selling points but for real life application for a citizen, I just don't see the need, nor will I, EVER!!! I make this statement as it pertains to a deadly force encounter outside the home, ATM hold up, car jacking, mugged on the street etc... If you're clearing your home or property, you should have a long gun anyway so you still wouldn't need lights and night sights on your sidearm. I know many will disagree but from my real life experiences, its just not needed.

I am however, a strong SA proponent as I have owned several and when I carry, I carry the following 90% of the time (Glock 27 the other 10%). A Springfield Armory Stainless Steel, full size 1911 in .45ACP, Custom Loaded, some sort of low profile "Combat Sight" but not night sights and no rail.
    I use a "Scorpion" hand held light for my light and no green or red lazer light.

Good luck,

CL

(Cumberland County)

+1 to above.

I have a SA Lightweight "loaded" champion model that I LOVE. Having a rail will severely limit your holster options. Ultimately, you are going to buy what YOU want, but since you are asking I would go with a LW champion.

There are just too many bad experiences with Kimbers for me to ever buy another.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Allegheny County)

I own a Kimber Pro Carry CDP II. Very nice shooting gun. They're a bit pricey but I held out and found mine used for $750. If you're patient I'd imagine you can find one priced similarly to a SA. The SA was excellent but I wouldn't trade it for the Kimber if I had it to do all over again.