Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Moving to PA

(Cumberland County)

Default Moving to PA

This is a similar question to Pantherchick's in another thread, but I didn't want to hi-jack that thread with my own question.

I'm currently a NYS resident with both a NYS Concealed Carry Permit and a PA LTCF. I've been living here in PA for the past 7 months (been attending school here for the past 5 years) and now that my wife has gotten a solid job in Harrisburg I want to change my residency to PA for, among other reasons, the more lax gun laws. I understand that after changing my address and getting my PA drivers license I will need to surrender my NY concealed carry permit, but will I need to transfer my handgun to PA through an FFL?

I've searched throughout the forums and found a lot of good help, but not really an answer. To be honest it seems a little strange to me that I would have to transfer though an FFL since I have an LTCF and have been carrying in PA a lot longer than in NY, but I'd rather get everything done the correct, legal way than get in trouble because of my ignorance.

PS. Has anyone used the range at Clancy's in Horsham? I live within walking distance of the place, and yes, the service generally sucks, but if the range is decent I'd rather walk than have to drive somewhere.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Moving to PA

You won't need to register anything. PA is a state that actually has rights.

As long as you aren't transfering a handgun (certain exceptions apply for family) you don't need to go through an FFL.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Jefferson County)

As mentioned above, you do not need to do anything with your guns. There are only 5 states that have registration - PA isn't one of them. What happens in PA is - when there is a transfer of ownership of a handgun, that must take place at a FFL or sheriff. A background check is performed and the transfer recorded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Thank you both for your quick responses! The only other question I have is should I renew my LTCF after my address changes? It currently has my NY address and was issued in Centre county, whereas my new address will be in Montgomery county.

(Bucks County)

Just bring them on down and enjoy your freedoms. No need to "tell" anybody.

You don't have to "renew" your LTCF...while not required by law, just call Centre County and inform them of your new address. Your current LTCF is good until it expires...then you renew at the Montgo Sheriff. Hopefully by then he is on the ball and eliminates the extra requires....