Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default target turrets for leupold scope

I am looking for any information you may have regarding the use of aftermarket target turrets for a Leupold scope. I recently came across a scope that my cousin is not able to use so I would like to give it a shot. It is a lower end model 3-9. I am going to be putting it on my .300 wby mag until I can get a hold of a nicer scope.

Thanks for any information.

Default Re: target turrets for leupold scope

This should be in the optics section.

Stoney Point made them before they went out of business, you can still find them here and there.

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Is it really worth it, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

I had Leupold put target turrets on a 6-18 Vari X II years ago. The price was pretty reasonable, IIRC. The turnaround time was good, too. It's not like they have a lot of warranty work to do. Contact them & see what they say.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I had Leupold put target turrets on a 6-18 Vari X II years ago. The price was pretty reasonable, IIRC. The turnaround time was good, too. It's not like they have a lot of warranty work to do. Contact them & see what they say.
    Leupold is not what they used to be. The older optics are held in much higher regards then the new ones which have been problematic. Their lead time for warranty work has increased substantially due to warranty issues and poor quality control over the past few years. I don't know why, but some companies have been going south recently and are depending on their reputation to pull them through the hard times. Heaven forbid you crack a lens, it will be replaced with their current stock of chinese glass. If my older one goes down, I'll send it back like anyone would for warranty work, then sell it when it comes back. Unless they change back to offering the quality they did 10 years ago, I will never buy another Leupold.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Leupold is not what they used to be. The older optics are held in much higher regards then the new ones which have been problematic. Their lead time for warranty work has increased substantially due to warranty issues and poor quality control over the past few years. I don't know why, but some companies have been going south recently and are depending on their reputation to pull them through the hard times. Heaven forbid you crack a lens, it will be replaced with their current stock of chinese glass. If my older one goes down, I'll send it back like anyone would for warranty work, then sell it when it comes back. Unless they change back to offering the quality they did 10 years ago, I will never buy another Leupold.
    I haven't heard that. I have a Leupold on every scoped rife I own, (Not counting red dots), & haven't had an issue with any of them. The last one I bought was around 1995 though.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I haven't heard that. I have a Leupold on every scoped rife I own, (Not counting red dots), & haven't had an issue with any of them. The last one I bought was around 1995 though.
    It's a shame because right now I have a vari-x II on a shotgun and a MkIV on my FN, i have noticed a slight delineation or about 3 moa at 100 yards in the tracking on the FN, but then I re-zeroed thinking, "Oh it can't be the scope, it's a Leupold." and since then it's tracked and returned to zero. I haven't shot it since the last time I cranked up the elevation a bit then reset it though, so I'll have to see. Some have come with canted reticles from the factory and have issues resetting back to the 100 meter zero. It does happen amongst even the best of companies, KAC had a serious downgrade on some of their earlier M110s (yes, blaspheme, I know!) and some folks have spoke of Remington's QC dipping as well. It to me just seems that Leupold has faltered recently and who knows if they will step their game back up. I know some people are very happy with a Leupold that was sent to Premier to be reworked, but I don't think Premier is doing that anymore. The earlier models seem to be more robust and crisp then the newer. Hopefully they continue to honor their warranties. Part of my loyalty to a company is in their ability to provide high quality customer service.
    Last edited by animalmother85; January 8th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    It's a shame because right now I have a vari-x II on a shotgun and a MkIV on my FN, i have noticed a slight delineation or about 3 moa at 100 yards in the tracking on the FN, but then I re-zeroed thinking, "Oh it can't be the scope, it's a Leupold." and since then it's tracked and returned to zero. I haven't shot it since the last time I cranked up the elevation a bit then reset it though, so I'll have to see. Some have come with canted reticles from the factory and have issues resetting back to the 100 meter zero. It does happen amongst even the best of companies, KAC had a serious downgrade on some of their earlier M110s (yes, blaspheme, I know!) and some folks have spoke of Remington's QC dipping as well. It to me just seems that Leupold has faltered recently and who knows if they will step their game back up. I know some people are very happy with a Leupold that was sent to Premier to be reworked, but I don't think Premier is doing that anymore. The earlier models seem to be more robust and crisp then the newer. Hopefully they continue to honor their warranties. Part of my loyalty to a company is in their ability to provide high quality customer service.
    Reticle cant of +/- 3 degrees in the MK4 is OK by their standards... And they wonder more and more people are buying NF, USO, and S&B....

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSP View Post
    Reticle cant of +/- 3 degrees in the MK4 is OK by their standards... And they wonder more and more people are buying NF, USO, and S&B....
    Good gravy.