Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sportsman's Rendezvous, Flemington, NJ

Bought two guns last November. NJ requires a permit and photo ID to transfer a handgun. I had a non-photo license and a passport. Dealer says no good because passport does not have an address on it. I had to make a separate trip to the store after securing a photo driver's license. Called NJ State Police , they said dealer was wrong . They even called the dealer and he insisted he was right.
    I will never deal with them again and caution others.
    Please note that as I rode by recently, a sign says under new management. I am not sure if I dealt with the old or new management.

Default Re: Sportsman's Rendezvous, Flemington, NJ

They are actually just doing what they are suppose to do, You need a government issued PHOTO id with name address and signature on it, it is suppose to match your firearms Id card. You should be happy that they wanted a picture on it and insisted on following the rules, this way firearms do not get into the wrong hands. They are one of the only gun shops that ask to see a firearms ID card or pistol permit in order to see a gun which is technically a state law also. Your NOT suppose to just hand a gun over to anyone without knowing they are qualified to hold it. Plus stores that are more cautious are a benefit to society, they are the ones who are trying to support firearms and make sure they get used by people who are not going to misuse them. Plus all gun shops are suppose to sell to customers who they are aquainted with. I think in order to become aquainted with someone you need to know where they live and what they look like. Hope this helps but what they were doing is just following the law, Sportsmans Rendezvous in Flemington NJ is actually a great shop with good prices and service, I have been dealing with them for many years since I closed our business and retired. Hope this helps

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the law. The forms say you must have proof of address and photo id, it does not state that you need to have a photo id with the address on it. What I did not state in my post was that I called 6 other dealers and they all agreed with my intepretation as did the NJ State Police. In fact the State Police said a passport is the best form of ID you can supply.
    If you can direct me to a document law or form that states the photo id must have the address on it , then I will stand corrected. Likewise I would like to see where it says a dealer must be familiar with the customer requesting to buy a gun. I would suggest that dealers would do a lot less business if that "requirement" were followed.
    I had the State Police call the dealer and he was arguing with them on the phone.
    Seems very strange to me when I requested that the dealer call the NICS line again and ask them if they required photo id with an address, the dealer refused to do that.

I simply ran into a stubborn jack*ss dealer who thinks he knows more the NJ State Police Firearms Unit. Since that time I have since purchased easily more than $3000 in sporting and hunting gear, including 3 guns, none of which was bought from the Sportsman's Rendezvous.

Just to help you out I found this on the State Police Website because you raise an interesting question but you have to realize that here in NJ you need a Pistol permit or Firearms ID card to purchase even a BB gun, thats how strict it is.

You wanted me to send anything over about personally knowing the buyer so here it is below. It all comes down to how good an attorney is on the arguement on if you need a NJ Photo Drivers license. I have been to two other dealers and they claim you do, some of them don't. Nics employees claim you do and that a passport will not work and the State Police have claimed you don't so who do you listen to.

The funny thing is it seems like the dealers that need the money will take any ID and the dealers who don't need the money and respect the law and making sure you are aquainted with the person want everything done 100% correctly to be comfortable.

It seems like all the dealer was doing was making sure he knew you and that you did not have someone else's ID's on you. The dealer does not have to sell to you if they do not feel comfortable and people should learn to have to bear with them because this world has a lot of wacko's in it.

Here is the thing from the State Police Website

5. No handgun shall be delivered to any person, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer or
    manufacturer, or a law enforcement agency as provided by this chapter, unless:
    i. Such person possesses and exhibits a valid permit to purchase a handgun and at least seven days have elapsed since
    the date of application for the permit;
    ii. The person is personally known to the seller or presents evidence of his identity; and

I called NICS back when before I had retired and had my store and they said you do, the law is a little unclear but says you do in a round about way, and the State tells you that you do or don't depending who picks up the phone so I guess its better to be safe than sorry thats what it all comes down to..........
    Last edited by JAMES2222; February 27th, 2008 at 08:05 PM.

YAY...two New Jerseyans fighting debating Commieland firearms purchasing laws on a Pa forum! Move to a real state and not a "Peoples Republic" then you can just both agree it doesn't really matter, Jersey will still suck anyways.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Northampton County)

New Jersey makes me ILL. Get out while you still can. Soon they will pass a law that will not allow you to come and go as you please. Or figure another way to put there hand in your wallet and pull out every dime . I got out of Jersey in 1990 and will never go back to that
    Corrupt shit hole !