Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can straighten out the alumimum threads on the calapsable stock?

Can U straighten out the alumimum threads on the calapsable stock? I've seen this done on spark plug holes and engine assembles, cast metal I'm wondering if it can be done on alumimum. It's lighter and softer it should be easier.

I'd like to use this part in a build or replacement of a solid rifle stock to be more M4 like. Question do most like the rifle stock or calapsable stock? My air soft ARs are all CS instead of RS. My Bushmaster has a rifle stock, hows the Delta stock?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Can straighten out the alumimum threads on the calapsable stock?

Huh?

Your bushmaster has rifle stock, and you want a collapsable stock? Take the rifle stock off and buy a collapsable stock. You shouldn't have to do anything to the threads on the receiver.

(Bucks County)

I'm confused also. You say "straighten out", as if the threads are damaged or something. Is this the case? Are you talking about the female threads in the lower receiver, or the male threads on the buffer tube? If you are changing from a fixed stock to a collapsible one, you will need a new buffer tube anyway. Be sure to get a mil-spec one and NOT a commercial one. It will be a lot easier to find a stock that fits the tube.

I think he means to chase or re-thread to another size?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Sorry I have a calaspable stock that threads are bent on it. I ewas asking if they could be straighten out to fit my BM after I remove the rifle stock.

Then I was asking about the Delta stock (since you guys seem to know everything) seems like to me. Should hold out for the Delta stock I don't se much of them nowdays but I wondering if they fit a purpose, they look sharp as hell. Sorry for the confusion.

your best bet would be to take the locking ring for the collapsible stock and using that to chase the threads. Being that it is made out of steel and not aluminum, it should do the trick. I wouldn't use your lower on it.

(Centre County)

Admonition:

Be careful.

If you use the steel locking ring or a normal tap or die (or what is called thread "chaser") to clean up threads, you will likely cut away the metal that is outside the parameters of the normal thread (in other words the bent part of the threads). This tends to weaken the threaded joint. Would it weaken it to the point that it fails? No way of telling.

While the above may work, and work safely, If you really wish to do this job correctly, you should use a special tool called a thread restorer or rethreader
    What the restorer will do is, as it is turned along the banged up or bent threads it will push the metal back into place instead of cutting it off. In this way you are left with correct threads that are not weakened as much.

Here's a link to a set that I own:

I hope this makes sense to you. I don't wish to make things seem more complicated than they are.

I'm very confused, I'm having a hard time following your posts. What is a "delta stock?"

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion.

(Indiana County)

If you have a quality stock then I would buy a new tube, if you have a cheap stock then I would buy a new stock assembly.

Chasing those fine threads and taking a chance that they strip off in the lower or at worst let the buffer/spring/bolt to come flying out is a chance I would not take considering the cost of doing it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast