Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Home Defense Tactics Review

I just finished reading the book sent to me by Jeff Anderson. Its 108 pages of single sided, double, and sometimes triple spaced writing. This book could have been written in about 50 pages or less if you take out all the pictures and only keep anything with any substance. I’m not going to reveal the content, but I will give you my overview of what they contain.

First and foremost this book relies more on shock value than actual substance. The first 14 pages talk only about murder, rape and torture – a common theme to be sure. This is followed up by another 14 pages of what bad guys are looking to do to you. The next 10 pages or so we are presented with ideas on how to strengthen our home. All common sense ideas, but are still mostly good ideas.

Next up we are taught about using guns for home defense. Nothing earth shattering here, just talks about the advantages and disadvantages of handguns vs. shotguns vs. “assault rifles”. No tips, tricks, or insight here, just tells you to pick what you like. Ok, glad I “paid” for this advice. I would suggest either Massad Ayoob’s “In the Gravest Extreme” or Col Jeff Cooper's "Principle of Personal Defense" instead. But that’s just me, then again considering my audience, it probably isn’t.

The next pages are a part shock value part Big Book of Dirty Tricks. We are taught how to make improvised weapons. I have to say something about these. The bandana with a rock in it and the use of killer wasp spray to blind your attacker, while plausible, just were too much for me to digest.

The next 20 or so pages are about how to protect you against home invasion. Mostly good info here, albeit really just common sense type stuff. I did like the idea of having a gun belt with flashlight, extra mags, etc on it. Kind of like a bug out bag for in the house. We are then greeted with an advertisement to buy another book of his.

The book ends with talk about how to survive, rape, torture, and “extreme” escape techniques. Here are two tidbits of inside info: “handcuffs are very strong because they are made of metal” (I’m not making that up) and if you get handcuffed use a handcuff key to unlock yourself (also not made up).

Overall, the book is all about scaring you with things that could happen while offering very little in what others have successfully done when thrust into these situations. There are a lot of, well, crazy statements made in this book with nothing offered in the way of a reference to back them up. Need an example? Here you go, “A home invader will most likely tie up a woman’s hands and feet to the four corners of the bed to rape her and leave her in that position for days.” WTF? Speaking of rape, I started counting the amount of times the words rape, torture, and murder (or any variations of it) were used. I hit 80 and gave up.

If you need a book that will constantly tell you that scumbags are coming to rape your wife and torture your kids then murder you, then this book is for you. If you already realize that we live in a dangerous world and you would like to learn how to protect yourself and your family using proven techniques, then I would suggest you continue looking.

I will gladly return this book and the two audio cd's if requested. If not then I will ship them to anyone here who wants them at no cost to you.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(York County)

Default Re: Home Defense Tactics Review

Thanks for the review...sounds like mostly common nonsensical type of stuff, but if they don't ask for it back I wouldn't mind giving it a read. Always looking for a interesting read. Thanks for posting.

GB

(Lancaster County)

First, thank you for the review.

The book ends with talk about how to survive, rape, torture, and “extreme” escape techniques. Here are two tidbits of inside info: “handcuffs are very strong because they are made of metal” (I’m not making that up) and if you get handcuffed use a handcuff key to unlock yourself (also not made up).
    Wow! Just wow. First off, anyone can buy a handcuff key, and I'm sure we all know that. To not address how to open handcuffs without a key is just wrong. I realize that there are cuffs out there that can be tough to pick and shim. But it should still be addressed that you can use improvised tools to open cuffs. It's not that hard, I've sat at a couple of security conferences and taught people how to shim cuffs. People that had never done it before were amazed at how easy it was even behind their back.

I'd have hoped the book was more about improvisation, as many people aren't prepared, but from what you said, the book sounds like a waste of time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Washington County)

You got it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    First, thank you for the review.

Wow! Just wow. First off, anyone can buy a handcuff key, and I'm sure we all know that. To not address how to open handcuffs without a key is just wrong. I realize that there are cuffs out there that can be tough to pick and shim. But it should still be addressed that you can use improvised tools to open cuffs. It's not that hard, I've sat at a couple of security conferences and taught people how to shim cuffs. People that had never done it before were amazed at how easy it was even behind their back.

I'd have hoped the book was more about improvisation, as many people aren't prepared, but from what you said, the book sounds like a waste of time.
    Well he does tell you that there are youtube videos out there that show you how to do it.

(Chester County)

Was this the $47 book that was getting talked about in the other thread?

So, it's a Tactics book that doesn't talk about tactics?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Wow! Just wow.
    What I said in the other thread, LOL.

(Washington County)

I have to concur with FragMag, the book had a few handy ideas in it, but for the most part the scare tactics were kind of off putting.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    I just finished reading the book sent to me by Jeff Anderson. Its 108 pages of single sided, double, and sometimes triple spaced writing. This book could have been written in about 50 pages or less if you take out all the pictures and only keep anything with any substance. I’m not going to reveal the content, but I will give you my overview of what they contain.

First and foremost this book relies more on shock value than actual substance. The first 14 pages talk only about murder, rape and torture – a common theme to be sure. This is followed up by another 14 pages of what bad guys are looking to do to you. The next 10 pages or so we are presented with ideas on how to strengthen our home. All common sense ideas, but are still mostly good ideas.

Next up we are taught about using guns for home defense. Nothing earth shattering here, just talks about the advantages and disadvantages of handguns vs. shotguns vs. “assault rifles”. No tips, tricks, or insight here, just tells you to pick what you like. Ok, glad I “paid” for this advice. I would suggest either Massad Ayoob’s “In the Gravest Extreme” or Col Jeff Cooper's "Principle of Personal Defense" instead. But that’s just me, then again considering my audience, it probably isn’t.

The next pages are a part shock value part Big Book of Dirty Tricks. We are taught how to make improvised weapons. I have to say something about these. The bandana with a rock in it and the use of killer wasp spray to blind your attacker, while plausible, just were too much for me to digest.

The next 20 or so pages are about how to protect you against home invasion. Mostly good info here, albeit really just common sense type stuff. I did like the idea of having a gun belt with flashlight, extra mags, etc on it. Kind of like a bug out bag for in the house. We are then greeted with an advertisement to buy another book of his.

Overall, the book is all about scaring you with things that could happen while offering very little in what others have successfully done when thrust into these situations. There are a lot of, well, crazy statements made in this book with nothing offered in the way of a reference to back them up. Need an example? Here you go, “A home invader will most likely tie up a woman’s hands and feet to the four corners of the bed to rape her and leave her in that position for days.” WTF? Speaking of rape, I started counting the amount of times the words rape, torture, and murder (or any variations of it) were used. I hit 80 and gave up.

If you need a book that will constantly tell you that scumbags are coming to rape your wife and torture your kids then murder you, then this book is for you. If you already realize that we live in a dangerous world and you would like to learn how to protect yourself and your family using proven techniques, then I would suggest you continue looking.

I will gladly return this book and the two audio cd's if requested. If not then I will ship them to anyone here who wants them at no cost to you.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Washington County)

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner..
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Was this the $47 book that was getting talked about in the other thread?

So, it's a Tactics book that doesn't talk about tactics?
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

First, I want to thank both fragmag and dmcdonnell for their honest review of our book. It's exactly what I asked for and as I said before, if you didn't like it, then I wanted to hear it.

I will defend some of the points though...

1. The reason for the large type and spacing is due to requests we constantly received by our readership. We have many customers who are over the age of 50, 60, and 70 and appreciate the larger type. You just kind of made it sound like it was filler.

2. As for "shock value", I'm definitely a firm believer in scaring the shit out of people. If you're put off by the words rape, torture, murder, then I feel you've not sufficiently considered your true risk in a home invasion. These are situations that MUST be drilled into your head to instill a realistic survival mind set and the critical need to drill these techniques and plan your actual steps should you find yourself surprised in this most violent crime.

3. Of course I'd disagree with the total assessment of the program and it's not for everyone. We get incredible feedback from the vast majority of our customers who don't have a safe room... who don't understand "fatal funnels" in their home... who own a gun but don't know how to use it tactically insider their home... and who don't know what they'd do if an attacker had them tied up in the basement and their family is upstairs with a few maniacs. (ooops...there's that shock value again! ;-) Those of you reading this may know all these things and I'm glad for it. Our goal is for EVERYONE to understand what to do and leave no concerned citizen unturned.

I fully expected to get blasted in a forum of experienced firearms "experts". LOL. Again, I appreciate your reviews and honesty and also for not revealing too much of the actual material in the book. Of course there's no need to return the program and I think it's a great idea to pass it on to anyone who may be willing to review it and pull out any tips that you may not considered in your own home defense plan.

Thanks guys!

~ Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast