Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Basic Pistol Coarse in Reading area

Would anyone be able to suggest a place to take a basic pistol class in the Reading Area.

I've looked into what the NRA has listed and it looks like Harrisburg is the closest followed by Easton for Basic Pistol.

I sent French Creek Outfitters (Pheonixville, Chester County) an email in regards to their pistol instruction and haven't heard anything back as of yet. It is a little bit of a hike but I used to work in the area and don't mind the long ride down Rt. 724, but would really prefer something a little more local.

Thanks
    -Walt

(Berks County)

Default Re: Basic Pistol Coarse in Reading area

Not that this is an answer to your question, but I would also be interested in classes in the Berks area...

(Bucks County)

Lightbulb Re: Basic Pistol Course in Reading area

I have a course planned in January in the Lower Bucks County region (other side of Philadelphia)

I know that there is an instructor availaible at Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club as well ("Jeff")

I believe New Holland has an isntructor, and I know they have an aggressive pistol program for members.

If you still have trouble, find a range we can meet on for shooting about 8 hours (and we need a place to chat for an additional 2, total of 10 hour course) and I'll make it happen for you.

Unless you only need an orientation, then the NRA First Steps only requires us to meet for 3 hours (only one pistol though)

PM here, or DocTraumaDefense@verizon.net
    Pacer

(Berks County)

I just wanted to give a little update. On Friday I stopped into Gun Traders on Rt. 61 (Muhlenburg) to pick up some self defense ammo to keep in the house. While I was there I asked the man behind the counter if he knew of anyone locally that did Pistol Training. He kindly directed me to a flyer hanging on the wall.

I read over the flyer and took one of the last phone number tabs and made my way home. Once I got in I picked up the phone and gave the number a ring. I spoke with a woman named Margaret (Marti) about what classes were offered and the specifics of each. I ended up talking with her for some time (~20 Mins) and was sincerely interested in what she was teaching.

There was a Basic Pistol Class (10 Hours) offered in the spring due to its length and the fact that she uses an outdoor range. The F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol class was taught privately. Coincidentally she had an opening the following day, or I could have waited until after the Holidays.

I decided to give it a shot and sign up for that Saturday. I also spoke with her about having my wife join me and she seemed thrilled. She even offered to supply her with a small caliber pistol (.22 in both Semi Auto and Revolver) so that she could start off smaller than my .380 Auto.

The following day my wife and I met up with her for 3 hours going over the book then moved onto the range for another three. When we went to the range, Scott (Marti's Husband, and also an NRA Instructor) taught us proper form and technique. At the end of the day we were taught how to clean our guns then given an NRA certificate of completion.

All in all I really enjoyed the class. The price seemed a little steep but was well worth the peace of mind I had when I left. I can now feel absolutely comfortable with the idea of my wife and I handling my pistol under any circumstance.

My wife enjoyed it so much that she even talked about getting a pistol of her own. She really enjoyed the look and feel of the Beretta Neos that belonged to the Instructor. I stopped into the gun shop and put one on order for her for Christmas

Both Scot and Marti were really nice. They both told us to call them if we ever had any future questions/concerns, or even just wanted someone to shoot with at the range. They also offered to go with us if/when we decided to buy another firearm (which I thought was an awesome gesture)

Anyway, they were genuinely nice people and I wouldn't hesitate to take another class with them in the future.

Pacer,
    Thanks for the offer. As I mentioned in the PM I would hate to inconvenience you and have you come all the way out here for the course. Especially since there were only two people looking to attend one.

medicjz,
    If you are still interested in attending a class locally, PM me and ill give you her number

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Basic Pistol Coarse in Reading area

medicjz...glad to see you got what you needed.

Stay safe!

B

(Berks County)

Walt,

When I read your posting, the first person that came to mind was Marti. Glad it worked out for you.

You might consider joining the club too! I'm sure you would both like to practice some more.

http://www.muhlshooting.org/

The other person that I thought of was one of our supporting members, AR-15 BUILDER. Rob is an NRA instructor and an FFL and he's located close by in Birdsboro too! He probably can get you a great price on a pistol too, if you know what you want.

Robert L. Horst
    Firearm Solutions
    Birdsboro, PA 19508
    610-582-2699

rhorst13@ptd.net

His hours are M-F 4:30 PM to 9:00 PM and SAT Noon to 4:30 PM.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/members/ar-15-builder.html
    Last edited by xotech; December 6th, 2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added contact info

(Berks County)

xotech,
    I got a membership to the club with my class. I'm expecting my card within the next few days

I wasn't aware AR-15 BUILDER was an FFL right in the area, otherwise I would have given my business when I ordered the Beretta Neos.

(Berks County)

Walt,

I'm glad you are set up with what you need right now.

Perhaps we can get together for some practice when we get a break in the weather and our work schedules.

Guy

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by xotech View Post
    Walt,

I'm glad you are set up with what you need right now.

Perhaps we can get together for some practice when we get a break in the weather and our work schedules.

Guy
    Sounds like fun.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can get a few warm-er days without rain or snow over a weekend.

(Berks County)

In the Reading area I teach basic pistol,rifle,home safety Firearm Solutions 610 582-2699

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast