Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Will a .22cal go into a truck tire or bounce back

Hey guys I need some help and maybe some of you have had first hand experience. I want stack tires in a brick pattern against the back stop of my own range to help increase safety with 9mm, .45, 5.56, and 7.62. A friend of mine has a trucking Co. and goes threw truck tires like mad so I can gather truck tires easily.

So my REAL question is will .22cal bounce back at 40-45yds on a heavy truck tire???

I can get light truck/car tires if it's safer just not as easy.

Thanks,
    fullauto223

fullauto223

Don't make me angry, I might raise my FONT ON YOU

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Will a .22cal go into a truck tire or bounce back

I'd avoid tires just from the whole "mosquito factory" standpoint.

(Montgomery County)

Judging from the photo, I'd say that you have a pretty adequate backstop as it is. That's about all the backstop all the ranges I shoot at have.

Proud member of:

(Philadelphia County)

I'd agree with the good Agent Smith.

That looks plenty safe to me. Adding trash to it would simply pollute the area.
    The other point about that turning into a mosquito factory rings rather true as well.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Put dirt in the tires I would think that would solve any problems.

[QUOTE=fullauto223;142507]Hey guys I need some help and maybe some of you have had first hand experience. I want stack tires in a brick pattern against the back stop of my own range to help increase safety with 9mm, .45, 5.56, and 7.62. A friend of mine has a trucking Co. and goes threw truck tires like mad so I can gather truck tires easily.

So my REAL question is will .22cal bounce back at 40-45yds on a heavy truck tire???

I can get light truck/car tires if it's safer just not as easy.

Thanks,

The issue with a .22 as it is w/ any bullet is the design, and the velocity of the bullet as it leaves the barrel of the weapon. The issues are expansion and penetration. Is it a hollow point? A FMJ etc? Rubber (when it is shredded is one of many backstops used at ranges to stop bullets. When shredded it is called a "rubber berm backstop", then you have dirt berm, water trap and of course steel which acts as a barrier or deflector when designed to guide the bullet into a bullet trap.

So bottom line, try it in a safe manner and a safe distance, and you may want to use several tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    Put dirt in the tires I would think that would solve any problems.
    I agree with Wasz...
    Stack the tires, and pack them full of dirt as you go.
    Looks like a great place to shoot!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Centre County)

F/A it looks like it's coming together quite nicely! As for the penatration I would imagine it would go into them and maybe be retained if it did bounce off the steal radial, otherwise you would be fine.

I will admit that I do agree with Agent Smith, unless they are filled with something they would be a breading ground for mosquitos and that is annoying as I'm sure you know and a poor choice as there are more and more diseases that are spread though that route. Food for thought I would say.

I don't nessesarly disagree with the idea of filling them with dirt though I think the back stop looks robust enough as it is so maybe this isnt even nessesary.

I look forward to getting to see this in person someday

keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shreaded tires would be great, but full tires will generally bounce back, why not make the backstop of tires covered in dirt, the tires will help keep the dirt in place and once the bullet is in the dirt and hits the tire, the bouce back will be minimal.

I once thought about setting up a gang saw to shread tires to make a mulch of it much like the backstop made of rubber pellets.

If you want to try this, javel water (Javex) will soften the tires up to a point they become like erasers in texture, Acitone will also dilute the rubber to a tar like texture.
    In all honesty tho, if I was to build a home range, i would make it a log backstop. Couple of cords of hardwood stacked up back to back will stop anything you want to put through it. And you can always use the wood later to kindle

I know for a fact, a car tire will throw back an arrow, tried it, will never do that again. My 1976 Impala door looked awful funny with an arrow hole in it.

Again, what ever your backstop is made of, I personally would look at making it with dirt or better yet sand. Build the backstop of what ever substance you want, then fill the front of it with sand, one in a while you will need to recover the front part, but the back will stay intact.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Westmoreland County)

I would recommend against using tires. We used to have tires as backstops on the old pistol range. Took them out because of too much bounce-back. We now use the dirt as a backstop and mulch to keep the splatter down.

SteveD
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast