Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Question about transferring a handgun between parent and child, across state lines.

My friend's step dad died recently. He lived in Maryland with my friend's mom.

My friend lives in PA. In the will, all his guns, except for a few, went to my friend's mom. She wants to give him a hand gun from the collection.

I had thought that she just needed to bring it to PA and do a transfer at an FFL in PA to him. Is that correct?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Default Re: Question about transferring a handgun between parent and child, across state line

If your friend's mom is a MD resident, which appears to be the case, she would have to do a transfer thru an FFL to give the guns to her PA resident son.

If she were also a PA resident, she could do it without any FFL involved.

Default Re: Question about transferring a handgun between parent and child, across state line

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    My friend's step dad died recently. He lived in Maryland with my friend's mom.

My friend lives in PA. In the will, all his guns, except for a few, went to my friend's mom. She wants to give him a hand gun from the collection.

I had thought that she just needed to bring it to PA and do a transfer at an FFL in PA to him. Is that correct?
    The short answer is yes (though it could be shipped to a PA FFL rather than her bringing it here). Had the bequest been directly to him, I believe he could have taken possession without an FFL.

(Adams County)

He was supposed to get this gun, but it was never added to the will. She knew that was her husband's wishes.

She only lives in Thurmont, so simply driving it up here would be easy and cheaper than shipping. I assume it needs to be done at a PA FFL, right?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

I assume it needs to be done at a PA FFL, right?
    Right. You might want to call around. The charge for the transfer can vary a lot, usually between $25-40 but some may charge $50 or even more.

(Chester County)

He was supposed to get this gun, but it was never added to the will. She knew that was her husband's wishes.

She only lives in Thurmont, so simply driving it up here would be easy and cheaper than shipping. I assume it needs to be done at a PA FFL, right?
    As has been said, transfer of possession must take place at the business of Pa FFL.

One word of caution. She has to avail herself of an exception to MD Criminal Code's prohibition to transporting a handgun (MD Criminal §4-203). That exception is:

MD Criminal §4-203(b)(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    Similarly she needs protection from 18 Pa CSA 6106 for her time in Pa. She would be protected Pa's exception:
    18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale ...

If she decides to transport herself it is imperative that she travel directly from her home to the Pa FFL without unreasonable deviations. If would be advisable to establish an appointment with the FFL beforehand so that, should she be stopped in MD or PA, there would be proof that her destination qualified her to transport the handgun. She should insure that she packages the handgun to meet both Pa's and MD' s transport requirement shown above.
    IANAL