Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Remington 700 SPS AAC thoughts

I was talking to my local shop owner about starting a long range rifle project. He recommended the AAC because of the 1/10 twist as well as the threading should I want to add a suppressor down the road. I'm on the list for his next batch when they come in. Here is the link from Remington web site.

Any experience with this rifle or any recommendations for glass/ring combos?

Thanks
    Last edited by HamburgBoy84; January 5th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Remington 700 SPS AAC thoughts

Yep it was made with the faster twist so you can shoot the 180 gr and heavier sub-sonic loads plus factory threading.

As far as the glass, anything Leupold, VXIII or MKIV!

AAC (owned by Remington) has been backing some tactical shooter oriented projects a lot lately to include this rifle. If your looking for an entry level .308 the SPS has tracked pretty well. I imagine you are looking at about $650 for this rifle?

Some of us on another forum were talking with Rob Silvers of AAC to see if they'd do a .260 version of this, it should be out someday if you want something hotter then a .308.

As far as glass, my recommendation is to skip Leupold and go to Nightforce with Badger Ordnance rings. I have a Leupold Mk4 that is going to be replaced with another Nightforce. My experience with the Leupold is that the adjustments for elevation tends to get sloppier the further out they go and the glass is not as clear as the Nightforce. If I knew then what I know now about the two, I would have never bought the Leupold. I have not had the tracking issues like some have had with the Leupolds but I don't want to take a chance even with a lifetime warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Cumberland County)

i think all rem. 30 cal tubes have a 1 in 10 twist. if your gonna start a long range rifle project. you may as well do it right and either get a good action, or get a 700 blueprinted. get a quality tube scewed on, and get it bedded in a good stock. it will save you money and aggravation in the long run. the 308 is a better choice if you don't handload and even then, with the availiblity of 308 stuff so abundant and cheap, i'd still pick the 308.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    i think all rem. 30 cal tubes have a 1 in 10 twist. if your gonna start a long range rifle project. you may as well do it right and either get a good action, or get a 700 blueprinted. get a quality tube scewed on, and get it bedded in a good stock. it will save you money and aggravation in the long run.
    ^^^^Agreed.

(Armstrong County)

OP - Plan on getting a new stock if you pick one of those up. I fondled one and was not impressed at all with the Hogue. Seemed to flex way too easy.

If you already have a 700, you may want to check the new AAC/Rem barrels at Midway;
    260Rem, 308, 300Blk.
    I plan on picking up a 308 barrel for my Model7 when i get back from SHOT in a few weeks. Gotta see how much i waste there LOL
    Want to keep it nice and compact with the can on the end and the 1:8 twist will great for the 220/240 grainers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    OP - Plan on getting a new stock if you pick one of those up. I fondled one and was not impressed at all with the Hogue. Seemed to flex way too easy.

If you already have a 700, you may want to check the new AAC/Rem barrels at Midway;
    260Rem, 308, 300Blk.
    I plan on picking up a 308 barrel for my Model7 when i get back from SHOT in a few weeks. Gotta see how much i waste there LOL
    Want to keep it nice and compact with the can on the end and the 1:8 twist will great for the 220/240 grainers.

.260 Remington with Reloader 17, 139 grain lapua Scenar and now with the availability of Lapua Brass is the long range shooters dream.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    i think all rem. 30 cal tubes have a 1 in 10 twist.
    I think you may have to check that.
    The Remington .30 cal rifles usually have a 1 in 12" twist. The R5 barrels are 1 in 11.5" twist.
    And it's been most shooters angst that they didn't have a 1 in 10".
    Until now, which is why they (Remmy) are touting the "Tactical Rifling" schtick on the Barrels of the AAC-SD.

Incidentally, Savage has always marketed a 1 in 10" twist in all their Heavy barrel tactical guns (as opposed to the Varmint Series).
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Cumberland County)

yup, my bad, the tac and var. have a 12 twist and i seen the 11.5 also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    The Remington .30 cal rifles usually have a 1 in 12" twist. The R5 barrels are 1 in 11.5" twist.
    And it's been most shooters angst that they didn't have a 1 in 10".
    Until now, which is why they (Remmy) are touting the "Tactical Rifling" schtick on the Barrels of the AAC-SD.

Incidentally, Savage has always marketed a 1 in 10" twist in all their Heavy barrel tactical guns (as opposed to the Varmint Series).

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    The Remington .30 cal rifles usually have a 1 in 12" twist.
    Exactly, the faster twist was at the request of the guys over on silencer talk, plus it's threaded by AAC so it's suppressor ready..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast