Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shotgun at Ready Aim Fire (Bristol)

I'm a member at Ready Aim Fire in Bristol, and up until now just owned pistols (SIG Sauer P6, S&W Model 59, Ruger MKII). I just bought my first long gun, a lightly used Mossberg 500.

I know that shotguns are allowed at this range, but was wondering if someone knows of any restrictions on the type of shells you can shoot. A while back, someone let me shoot their shotgun, and they were shooting birdshot, so I guess that would be allowed. Since they do not allow rifles other than .22 LR or pistol-caliber, I would assume that slugs are a no-no. But what about buckshot?

If anybody knows what is and is not allowed at Ready Aim Fire it would be greatly appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Shotgun at Ready Aim Fire (Bristol)

Last I checked, they are birdshot but no buck or slugs. I shoot there but I just use them for pistol and the occasional .22LR. I'm not sure of the shot size limit, but most places I shoot allow for 7-1/2 or smaller and that would probably be my guess for RAF, too.

(Bucks County)

Ok, let me give it a go

- No steel shot, slugs, 00, or anything else that could damage metal. No 8 shot also known as "Gun Club Rounds" at Wally World and Dicks are a safe bet. When in doubt, just show the box to Joe or one of the guys at the counter. In other words, use your head. You're shooting indoors, go with a lighter load with a conservative powder dram.

- No rifle rounds, duh! You'll punch a hole right through their bullet catch. Remember that behind their bullet trap and cement walls are homes. It's not a place for a rifle.

- Pistol rounds, well since they rent the S&W .500 along with a .44 Mag most rounds will pass muster. When in doubt, show the guys at the counter or call ahead.

A little bit of consideration goes a long way with these guys. They're really nice and treat everyone like family, they even beat up on the n00bs when they get they see them get a hot shell in their shirt or a slide bite because they held the pistol the incorrect way. (Think Wally and Beaver getting yelled at, all in good fun)

Thank you very much for the info! I'll pick up some of the #8 shot "Gun Club Rounds" for my first range trip with my new shotgun. I'll probably pick up some buckshot, probably some 00 and some #4, at the same time, but I'll be sure to ask before shooting these. If they are a "no-go", I'll just save them for when I go to a range where I can pattern my shotgun with buckshot.

I agree they are nice guys over at Ready Aim Fire. I've been a member there since I started shooting about 18 months ago. Browsing through this forum I've seen a number of negative posts about this range, but I've never seen anything like what was described -- anytime someone did anything in the least bit unsafe, the staff stepped in and took care of the problem immediately.

The atmosphere is pretty laid-back, and they don't mind rapid fire, holster work, etc. as long as you are being safe about it. But if you are shooting more rapidly than what you can safely shoot, or are doing anything else in the least bit unsafe, they tell you to stop. If someone continues doing this they are then asked to leave.

And that's the way it should be. I hate being told that 1 shot every 3 seconds is "rapid fire" and not allowed, even though all my shots are in the 8-ring or better, and I am being completely safe. Of course, at a place like this, if it happens I abide by the RO's wishes and force myself to pause for 5 seconds between shots. It's just a tad annoying and can ruin the experience. God forbid I ever have to use a firearm for self-defense, asking my attacker to wait a few seconds because I've never practiced shooting any faster won't exactly work very well.

(Bucks County)

Hmm... thats weird. Last time I was there they told me I can shoot anything except for slugs. Oh and no Headshots with a shotty as it can damage the ceiling.
    but other than that, i was told everything else is fine.
    next time you go ask the owner or someone behind the counter, thats what I did and thats what I was told but I go a lot so maybe thats also another reason I was told different than someone else.

BUT there is one thing I do not like, that is there is no ventilation system and you are breathing back in all of that smoke and ish.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    Hmm... thats weird. Last time I was there they told me I can shoot anything except for slugs.
    Same. I was allowed to shoot anything but slugs. They were okay with me shooting 00 Buck.