Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Remington 700 ADL long range rifle project

Okay here is the deal. Lately I have been reading into the Long Range shooting arts a little bit, and I think I want to take the plunge. I have had a Remington 700 ADL sitting in my gun cabinet and now that I have my .308 TC Venture for hunting, it is kind of just sitting there. I always wanted a sniper style .30-06, and I have heard nothing but good things about the 700 action. My question is, with this rifle where do I start? I know the biggest thing is a good scope, and that is going to have to wait a while, but with this thing, all I have is time, so I am willing to save up a few dollars to get it to be a functional long range rifle. I already know it is fairly picky about what ammo I feed it, and that mixed with a bad scope was nightmares for this rifle the first year I owned it. Now I have it shooting a single whole at 100yds just about an inch over the bull. I want to make it a more practical rifle to shoot outwards of 500 yards. I plan on possibly eventually shooting it longer range than that even, but I want to see what the general idea is before I get too excited about this rifle.

It is the 700 ADL model with no mag well, just straight up plain jane. Where do I start? Get a good stock and bed job done on it? Go for the glass? Bi pod set up? Hand loaded ammo?

As I said, I know the glass is important, but I do not want to make a HUGE investment into it if I don't know what the rifle is capable of. I guess what I am asking is, is this a decent rifle to start with? Any input would be appreciated.

I wanted to build an AR, but I want something that will reach out and touch the zombies across town so they don't quite know where they are getting tagged from.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Remington 700 ADL long range rifle project

Also I had thought about going simple, getting the Hogue overmolded stock, buying the kwik clip ADL to BDL conversion kit from Brownells, and getting a bi pod to start off. I was also thinking about getting a Bushnell scope for it(not a walmart cheapy) but one of the tactical ones, 3200 or 4200 elites with the adjustable turrets and mil dot reticle. I am planning on shooting match grade ammo out of it or possibly handloading/reloading my own precision rounds for it.

(Centre County)

Ever hear the saying "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Well, longish range shooting is exactly like this. I'll hit up some of the stuff you mentioned. The hogue overmolded stock flexes too much and contacts the barrel. Forget it. Bell & Carlson or Choate is the cheapest stock you want, IMO (it goes up from there; McMillan, various chassis systems, etc). Get it bedded. Get a trigger that works for you. If it's the stock one, so be it. The older Rem triggers can be worked and lightened up by a smith. Aftermarket like Timney are great. Get quality scope rings and bases. Burris XTR is a great set that won't kill your wallet.

Glass. The options are mind boggling and limited by $$. I chose Millett cause it worked for me, but $500 glass is easy to get into and easily up to $2K plus.

The options are crazy. Pick a plan and stick to it. Set the rifle up to where you will be shooting the most and work on the loads the gun likes. You could throw everything away and just keep the action, get it trued, have a new barrel put on, get Badger Ord rings/bases and bottom metal, get a AICS chassis system, get a $2K scope, tactical bolt knob, etc, etc and slowly pay off that second mortgage you took out. Or piece together a well thought out rifle and shoot almost just as well to 500 yards.

www.snipercentral.com
    www.snipershide.com
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking is being more practical. I don't want a multi thousand dollar rifle, I just want something I can shoot further than 200 yards with consistantly and accurately. I didn't know about the hoague stocks being all flexible and stuff. I will look into a B&C and a Choate. I would like something that has a higher cheeck pad because if I get the scope I want with a 50mm Objective lens, I may need to go with taller rings or bases.

As far as the trigger, the one on the rifle is VERY smooth to me anyway, I haven't had any experience with high end triggers, but this one breaks smooth and clean and though maybe a little on the heav side, I think it is a pretty well made trigger.

Optics, well I really like the clarity of the Bushnell scope I have, but I read mixed reviews on their stuff and it makes me think I may be taking a chance getting one of their scopes. I will look into a millet, but I also have my eye on the leupold Mk4. Would that scope be overkill for this rifle? I figured if we use it in the army on our sniper rifles from our big boy .50 to the m24s then it must be a pretty good scope right?

Will the stock Manufacturer also do the bedding job on the rifle? or will I have to take it to a custom shop to have that done?

I would like to get a nice Bi pod for it too and have been looking at the Harris brand ones. They seem to be some of the better ones on the market.

I will be checking out both of those web sites when I get home seeing as I can not view them from my computer at work.

Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

So far I am liking the Millett LRS-1 in 6-25x56mm scope. The XTR rings in the 3/4" High config are going to be about $57 and the scope is about $425 with free shipping. Havent looked at stocks yet, just wanted to throw out those optics to see if anyone has any opinions on them/ experience with them.

Harris bi pod is going to run me about $80 bucks....This is going to get rather pricey rather quick.

I think the first thing I am going to do, is get the scope and rings. I want to see if this rifle(and shooter) have the potential to shoot that far. If I can get it on the target at least at 300-400, then I am going to take the plunge and get the stock and the bedding job, along with the BDL kit from brownells, because I hate the fact that I don't have a magazine fed rifle.

When I get home, I will post before pics. I want to do this in stages and steps. It may take a while so bear with me.

(Lancaster County)

Anyone have any experience with the Blackhawk Axiom stocks? I like the look of em, I just need to know if they are junk or not.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Also I had thought about going simple, getting the Hogue overmolded stock, buying the kwik clip ADL to BDL conversion kit from Brownells, and getting a bi pod to start off. I was also thinking about getting a Bushnell scope for it(not a walmart cheapy) but one of the tactical ones, 3200 or 4200 elites with the adjustable turrets and mil dot reticle. I am planning on shooting match grade ammo out of it or possibly handloading/reloading my own precision rounds for it.
    Midway is currently running a promotion (code: "4200") on the 4200 tactical scopes (3-12x FFP and 6-24x FFP). I just bought a 4200 Tactical 3-12x for $600 there. Regular price $850 ($250 off each), although they typically go for $650 at other places. Looking forward a mil-dot with mil adjustments. Plenty of adjustment for long rang, but you may still need a 20 MOA mount for 1000+ yards.

See reviews here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1648138

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2143390
    Last edited by bricktop; December 29th, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop View Post
    Midway is currently running a promotion (code: "4200") on the 4200 tactical scopes (3-12x FFP and 6-24x FFP). I just bought a 4200 Tactical 3-12x for $600 there. Regular price $850 ($250 off each), although they typically go for $650 at other places. Looking forward a mil-dot with mil adjustments. Plenty of adjustment for long rang, but you may still need a 20 MOA mount for 1000+ yards.

See reviews here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1648138

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2143390
    Right now I am not even thinking about 1000 yards. I am still thinking I am biting off more than I can chew at 500 yards. That is quite an adjustment when the longest you have shot a single shot rifle before that was 300meters.

I have guided traccers in on targets 700-800 meters away already, but we are talking one shot, one hit here. Sniper style all the way. That is a pretty long poke!

I think I found a bi pod( my buddy) for 50 bucks and it is like new. Saving a little money there is guess.

The scope is the real killer right now. I am going to have to save up and possibly wait until tax return time to get the scope for the rifle. Unless I catch one on sale for like $300 dollars.

The axiom stocks I just learned, are junk too. I am looking at Choate and B&C right now.

(Centre County)

Yeah, I got a little crazy with the first post. The great thing is you can do it in stages and according to your budget. Should have started out asking about your current gun anyway. How does it shoot now? What groups are you getting? Sounds like the trigger is something you can work with. And, what's your budget?

Also....By no means am I saying Millett is the best scope for 500yards, but for me, it works well. I can only shoot to 200yards now because thats the farthest my current range goes.

Check out Midway USA for some good deals on a similar scope to what I'm using....
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=458997

(I have a 56mm lense on my Rem and only needed medium Burris XTR rings and regular XTR bases.)

A possible plan: I guess I'd see how your gun shoots with some new glass and rings/bases. Like it? Does well? Found a load it likes? Try a new stock. Shoots better? Have it bedded. Shoots better? Try some new loads and move out some yards. How's your technique? How's your breathing? How's your grip? Learn how to actually use the mil dots? Writing down how your gun likes each load? Doing better? Move out. Etc, etc, etc...

By the time you are regularly shooting 500 yards, you should be meeting some people and getting to try their gear and combos to see what you like and don't. There are ppl on this forum (and others) that are a wealth of knowledge. They should be along shortly. Use that knowledge and learn what you want/need and spend accordingly. Good luck. It's an addiction (I just got started....)
    Last edited by FLICK; December 29th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Lancaster County)

Right now, the rifle with .30-06 Winchester Supreme Silvertip 165gr bullets will put 3 bullets in the smae hole at 100 yards. That is off of a bench rest, so I know the rifle is accurate enough. Right now it is completely configured as a hunting rifle. Standard 3-9x40 scope and cheap o rings and stock all the way around. I can shoot 1 MOA groups with it easily at 100yds without using the bench rest. I just use a sandbag.

Earlier I was searching for match grade .30-06 ammo, it is a little hard to come by. Most of it is for .308. So handloading may be in my near future. I have a friend who has a handloading set up and he says as long as I pay for all the supplies I use, he has no prob lending me the equipment. Til I get my own that is.

As of right now, I have no busget which is why I am asking where to start. I AM doing this in stages all the way through, and I need to know how much penny pinchin I got to do to get it started.

I am looking into the Choate ultimate sniper stocks and such. When I get home I am going to get on Brownells, and midway and look a lil bit. I am looking at about, 200-600 for the stocks I looked at...I am liking the pricing and features of millett scopes. I found quite a few on sale on the web so I am hoping for the price, they will hold up. I am also looking at a Nikon scope right now as well. I am looking at between 250-750 for the scope and rings are another 60. Bi pod is another 50 and then the ADL to BDL clip kit is another 150-200. Eventually if I do get to that 1000 yard mark, I am going to send the reciever our, have it trued and probably have a custom bolt/bolt handle made for it. maybe a bull barrel too.

All in all, in stages, by the time I am done with it, it is going to be a complete franken rifle. But I want it to still be a practical, tactical sniper rifle. I am convinced that one day I am going to need it to do long range recon on zombads in the deep forests and city limits eventually.

Also my friend knows a place where he said they do egg shoots at 750 and 1000 yds. I would so totally be into that.
    Last edited by SharpShooter88; December 30th, 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast