Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default New guy - a few questions

Hey guys its Goodie from Annville. This is my 2nd post so be easy on me. I have been shooting for a long time, but I am fairly inexperienced and always looking for more information and people to teach me.

Anyways I have always been a fan of Glens Guns Shop in Annville. I tried calling a few times and even left a message to find out his hours. Does anyone know if he is still open? I know he has been talking about closing a few years ago.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New guy - a few questions

Not too sure but there are a few other shops within a half hour of you that you should check out

1)Darryls gun shop is near newmanstown(I think)...Google him, good guys out there
    2)Encks Gun Barn, also in Lebanon but closer to Lancaster County, He is kind of a grump, but if you catch him in a good mood on a good day he will sit there and talk guns with you, he IS NOT the best go to guy for a starting shooter or a clueless individual, he can be harsh and rude at times, but he has soo much stuff packed into that little shop.
    3)Shyda's also in Lebanon, great place, thats where I purchased my glock. They have awesome Customer service, a good selection of both guns and accessories, and they are very knowledgeable and easy to deal with. I have been there several times and have not had a bad experience there.
    4) Mussers in ephrata. It is a little bit of a drive, but it is my home shop so to speak, I buy ammo and hunting stuff there and they are just awesome guys out there. They have average pricing on stuff and run high on my scale for customer service. They are a smaller shop with a decent inventory and IMO if that is what you are looking for(a smaller shop to go to for good gear and helpful people) that is the place to go. Either them or Shydas.

Just my .02, hope I could be of some help. It is always good to get out and expand your range range too!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lebanon County)

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have heard great things about the guys in Newmanstown. I have been out to Shydas quite a few times and I am always impressed with their selection and knowledge.

Any good places to get ammo on the cheap locally? I hate giving my money to Walmart and Cabelas. I usually order online from places like www.ammoman.com, but I like buying local from small businesses.

I have recently got back into guns after a long break. I have always hunted, but I got into target shooting a few years ago. Buying a house put my target shooting on hold, but now I am ready to get back in. I just invested in a new Ar-15 and some other "plinker" toys. Look for me at the Palmyra Sportmens club.

(Lebanon County)

glenn is going to "by appointment only" hours, not sure if its the first of the year or after hunting season(now).
    not going to carry inventory, or deal with in store used guns.
    will order new stuff and do internet and other transfers.
    i have not stopped in lately but was once a regular...but this is what i've heard as of a few weeks ago.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Welcome to PAFOA.

Enck's Gun barn is a wonderful place to go, There's also Horseshoe Pike Gun Shop in Campbelltown, Richland Shooters. Kinsey's Outdoors, Trop Gun shop and Bullseye Shooters (all 3 in Elizbethtown) as well as rhe ones mentioned)

I heard that as of the New Year Glenn's was going to be pretty much be closed as far as store hours, but by appointment. Don't know, I know he alsways had some quirky ours.

Ae you a member of a local Range, I'm a member at Palmyra Sportsman's and Jonestown F&G
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA.

Enck's Gun barn is a wonderful place to go, There's also Horseshoe Pike Gun Shop in Campbelltown, Richland Shooters. Kinsey's Outdoors, Trop Gun shop and Bullseye Shooters (all 3 in Elizbethtown) as well as rhe ones mentioned)

I heard that as of the New Year Glenn's was going to be pretty much be closed as far as store hours, but by appointment. Don't know, I know he alsways had some quirky ours.

Ae you a member of a local Range, I'm a member at Palmyra Sportsman's and Jonestown F&G
    Encks is nice to go to for you because you are older and out of Bob's "I think your generation is nothing but a bunch of punks" range. Honestly, if you are under the age of maybe 28, he is probably going to give you some grief if you go in there and start asking 21 questions. Like I said if you catch him in a good mood, he may be a little more talkative. I quit going there because one of my friends made the mistake of using him as his FFL and had stuff shipped directly there on accident(it was a miscommunication) and Bob flipped out on him.

He knows his stuff, and he has good stuff in the shop, but he IS NOT a very big people person. He yells at his employees and I have even heard him get smart with people over the phone.

He is honestly one of my LAST choices to go to unless I am desperate for something. I used to love going there, but now I avoid it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Encks is nice to go to for you because you are older and out of Bob's "I think your generation is nothing but a bunch of punks" range. Honestly, if you are under the age of maybe 28, he is probably going to give you some grief if you go in there and start asking 21 questions. Like I said if you catch him in a good mood, he may be a little more talkative. I quit going there because one of my friends made the mistake of using him as his FFL and had stuff shipped directly there on accident(it was a miscommunication) and Bob flipped out on him.

He knows his stuff, and he has good stuff in the shop, but he IS NOT a very big people person. He yells at his employees and I have even heard him get smart with people over the phone.

He is honestly one of my LAST choices to go to unless I am desperate for something. I used to love going there, but now I avoid it.
    I'm the same age as tdyoung (generally speaking) and my opinion of Bob is very similar to yours. He's treated me OK almost every time I've been there with money to spend, and been treated good even when I wasn't spending money, but I've seen his attitude and been snubbed by him enough times that I'll look elsewhere first. It's been a few years since I've been there even though he has Lee reloading equipment and that's my preference. He has a lot of other stuff that you can't find anywhere else locally and his prices are good.
    I've had him do some work on a few guns for me, always prompt, done right, exactly what I asked for and at a very reasonable price.
    I just don't like to be talked down to or treated like shit at random.
    Last edited by mauser; December 31st, 2010 at 03:09 AM.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I'm the same age as tdyoung and my opinion of Bob is very similar to yours. He's treated me OK almost every time I've been there with money to spend, and been treated good even when I wasn't spending money, but I've seen his attitude and been snubbed by him enough times that I'll look elsewhere first. It's been a few years since I've been there even though he has Lee reloading equipment and that's my preference. He has a lot of other stuff that you can't find anywhere else locally and his prices are good.
    I've had him do some work on a few guns for me, always prompt, done right, exactly what I asked for and at a very reasonable price.
    I just don't like to be talked down to or treated like shit at random.
    My sentiments exactly. He does good work, for some reason when it comes to his shop and you entering it, you must bow to him first. He is just on a high horse.

He does have some cool stuff in that shop though, if you have never been there you need to go there at least just one time to check it out, even if you never go back.

(Lancaster County)

Backwoods outfitters in columbia is a good shop. kinseys, and bullseye shooters in e-town are great shops as well.

(Lebanon County)

Care to check out alot of guns?. a big gun show will be held at the Lebanon expo center Jan. 15\16 shou;d be from 500 to 700 tables of good stuff. machine guns to airsoft, and everything in between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast