Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Trigger Problem

(Berks County)

Default Trigger Problem

I have a question concerning a S&W Model 36. After dry firing the revolver with snap caps the trigger stopped retracting back to the starting position. Does anyone know what part of the action mechanism controls this...Thanks
    CZ75 P-01 & Colt AR-15 6920

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Trigger Problem

Doubtful it was the snap caps. The rebound slide is the part that resets the trigger and pushes the hammer back a little to keep the firing pin from being struck.

Is the firing pin protruding from the frame a little? Does the hammer move freely or is it stuck?

The rebound slide is attached to the trigger my means of a little pin. If this pin was to pop out of place the trigger would not reset. However the shape of the rebound slide makes this a very unlikely situation.

My best guess is that your hammer is stuck preventing the rebound slide from returning to position and thus resetting your trigger.

If any/all of this was greek to you, take your gun to a smith. Do not open up a revolver if you don't know what you are doing. You will do more damage than good.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by PKO101 View Post
    I have a question concerning a S&W Model 36. After dry firing the revolver with snap caps the trigger stopped retracting back to the starting position. Does anyone know what part of the action mechanism controls this...Thanks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Doubtful it was the snap caps. The rebound slide is the part that resets the trigger and pushes the hammer back a little to keep the firing pin from being struck.

Is the firing pin protruding from the frame a little? Does the hammer move freely or is it stuck?

The rebound slide is attached to the trigger my means of a little pin. If this pin was to pop out of place the trigger would not reset. However the shape of the rebound slide makes this a very unlikely situation.

My best guess is that your hammer is stuck preventing the rebound slide from returning to position and thus resetting your trigger.

If any/all of this was greek to you, take your gun to a smith. Do not open up a revolver if you don't know what you are doing. You will do more damage than good.

-Zach
    Are you aware that the S&W Model 36 is a revolver, because it sounds to me like your decribing a semi-auto handgun. Just want to clarify.
    CZ75 P-01 & Colt AR-15 6920

(Bucks County)

Very aware. Take your gun to a smith or send it back to S&W.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by PKO101 View Post
    Are you aware that the S&W Model 36 is a revolver, because it sounds to me like your decribing a semi-auto handgun. Just want to clarify.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Very aware. Take your gun to a smith or send it back to S&W.

-Zach
    In this case, excellent advice!!
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.