Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I am correct that travel to VT with firearm should be no problem?

I've read related posts, and the law, and am 99.9% sure I'm right, but if I'm not, someone please tell me.

Driving to VT for vacation, staying in a rented condo, passing through NJ and NY. No stopping other than food and gas on the way. Have my PA resident LTCF. As long as before I leave PA or VT, my firearm is unloaded and secured in the trunk, everything should be a-ok, correct? Having hollow points and full capacity mags makes no difference because I am federally exempted, correct?

Thanks in advance for setting me straight if I'm in the wrong.

ETA - to be extra safe, the case will be locked, ammunition will be removed from mags and in boxes separate from the gun case.
    Last edited by phillykev; December 27th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I am correct that travel to VT with firearm should be no problem?

As long as you follow interstate transport laws while going through People's republic of NY (and NJ if you have to go that way) you should be good to go.

(Erie County)

Yes, what Chemical stated!

Vermont is probably the most gun-friendly state in the union, and look where it is located!

Have fun skiing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Yes, what Chemical stated!

Vermont is probably the most gun-friendly state in the union, and look where it is located!

Have fun skiing!
    Too bad Pa and Vt aren't bordering neighbors huh?

(Chester County)

You're probably OK with one caution:

FOPA arguably does not apply to transport of HPs or hi-cap mags. This problem was addressed in legislation to augment LEOSA for exactly this very point of omission. The change was signed into law in the past month or so but does not affect 926A (FOPA transport).

I'm unaware of this FOPA omission ever being prosecuted but forewarned is forearmed.

Transport according to 18 USC 926A:

the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 27th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    IANAL

It's absolutely true that this should be no problem, but then this is NY, NJ, and maybe MA. I asked Massad Ayoob the high-capacity mag question, specifically when passing through New York or Massachusetts. His suggestion is to have a 10-rounder with the gun and bury any larger ones elsewhere. Seems reasonable to me. I'd leave the HPs at home if passing through NJ (you can buy more there).

Mind your P's and Q's of course. And if you are stopped, having a gun-related sticker in the back window and plates from a gun-friendly state may motivate the LEO to ask questions he/she otherwise may not.