Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics for AR

(Butler County)

Default Optics for AR

I just bought a new AR and want to add optics to it. Anyone have any luck with a variable scope on an AR? There are a lot of cheap ones out there but I'd like to spend a couple hundred dollars and get something decent. I do not want a lighted reticle or any other gimmicky features.
    KG32A

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Optics for AR

What are you WANTING to accomplish with this AR? Weekend plinker? Home defense? CQB? Paper punching? Coyote punching? Carbine course running? Safe queen?

Each activity might require a different sort of optic, and while there are some VERSATILE optics out there, one size might NOT fit all. Get the WRONG optic for your primary use, and you'll be extremely frustrated with both optic and rifle.

Don't overlook proficiency with your iron sights, either. Optics are nice, but batteries go dead, the sun goes down (fiber optics) and tritium will go inert in a few decades (and in BRIGHT light, it won't work). Glass has also been known to break or fog on occasion. Proficiency with irons will also give you time to consider your optic choices more thoroughly too.

Look forward to hearing more details on the AR as well. Is it 16", 18", 20" bbl, or...??? That will also be a key to mating some optics to it.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Optics for AR

It's a Bushmaster A3 .223, Flat top, with an 18" Fluted Barrel and free float handguard. There are no iron sights. It came with the risers.

I'd like to use non battery powered glass for my optic choice. I plan to punch paper and/or varmints so I'd like something other than a red dot. I see options from Barska, BSA, NcStar, etc. but nothing seems like it has any real quality and they sell on gimmicks. Maybe I'm wrong, that's why I'm looking for some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KG32A

(Perry County)

A 1-4x scope is a pretty good compromise. Nixon is making one in their AR line that seems promising. I have one on my 3-gun rifle and like the versatility.

(York County)

Smile Re: Optics for AR

Quote Originally Posted by kg32a View Post
    I just bought a new AR and want to add optics to it. Anyone have any luck with a variable scope on an AR? There are a lot of cheap ones out there but I'd like to spend a couple hundred dollars and get something decent. I do not want a lighted reticle or any other gimmicky features.
    I put a new Redfield Revolution 3~9x50mm on my son's M4A3 flattop and he loves it. He is using it for paper and ground hogs. The new Redfields are made by Leupold and have very bright and clear optics. The scope and rings set me back just under 200 bucks.

http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

I use a 4-16x50 on my BM paper puncher. I had a 24x on it, but my bud needed it back. It is on a slightly modified (to keep it tight without using thread lock) carry handle so that I have access to the irons. I am doing a build that will have an Eotec 3x. After I have some fun with it, it will go to my son. The BM was my first AR, so it will stay with me, regardless of the naysayers input.

The scope set up I have is a bit on the heavy side, but still very handy. It is not a "gunfighter" set up in my opinion, but it is versatile (to me, anyways, as I hunt with it, occasionally) The 4 to 16 power gives you very good clarity 25 to 300yds, or more. If it was going to be a battle weapon, I would ditch the scope and go with the Eotec and a backup iron system.

If it is a target gun, you can never have too much power in your scope. When you can knock the male fly off of the female at 100yds, you will understand what I mean. You mentioned $200 for a scope, but you can get a very good scope in the "CenterPoint" at WM. I would have never believed it, but I have one on a 30-30 and am a believer. It is less than $70. If you don't want the illumination, you can just leave the battery in your coin drawer.

Get as much as you can for the money, and if you like the setup, you can always upgrade.
    Last edited by harold63; December 28th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Optics for AR

In that case, my preference is for the Trijicon RX30 - I have two of them on rifles currently. With fiber optics for daylight conditions, your dot glows ever brighter - as necessary & automatically - to remain bright and on-target. And at night, the tritium nightsight takes over for low/no light conditions.

It's MUCH sturdier than Barska/NCStar stuff - I've run one through training courses - it'll take whatever you can throw at it and then some.

p.s. - get a set of Magpul BUIS for your irons; they won't break the piggybank, and they'll be plenty sturdy enough for regular use!

(Wyoming County)

I had a Leupold 3x9 on mine and it was nice. Leupold makes some new scopes and these look pretty good and are designed to be used with the ar15's. http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...r-3-9x40mm-t2/
    Last edited by shooker8; December 27th, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    In that case, my preference is for the Trijicon RX30 - I have two of them
    You also have an understanding wife...$$$

They are good, though.

(Delaware County)

I like my Millet DMS 1-4x scope. You can pick them up from Natchez or Midway for just under $200. They have illuminated reticles, but I only use that when I'm shooting at dusk, and it's cloudy. You don't need to turn on the "lamp" to use it. Runs on the quarter-size batteries that you can buy in 2-packs from Wal-Mart, most any drug store, and probably some well-stocked gun shops. The scopes come with 2 batteries; one in the battery compartment, and a spare stored in an enlarged cap over one of the adjustment knobs.

It works a lot better for precision work than I would have thought. I was able to get some 1 1/8" groups at 100 yards, and that's about as good as that upper shoots.

It's a little on the heavy side, and the flip-up caps that came with it didn't last very long, but those are the only complaints I have.
    Last edited by Suburban; December 28th, 2010 at 03:46 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast