Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    North of Jim Thorpe, Bear Creek Lakes, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)

Default Looking to buy a muzzle loader

I got a couple of Cabela's gift cards for Christmas and am thinking about buying a muzzle loader. Are they very involved to load? Are the sabots and speed loaders basically like loadinga a "bullet" into the barrel? I did some online shopping and found what looks like a pretty uncomplicated model. Cabelas' Traditions Pursuit LT Accelerator .50 cal, with scope and kit for $389.99.Would appreciate some muzzle loader information from the members. Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Looking to buy a muzzle loader

There are "speedtubes" and other things to help speed up reloading. You just take the cap of, line it up with the bore, allow the powder pellets to fall in, then start seating the bullet/sabot. You will need to push the bullet/sabot down with a starter, then you use your ramrod to push down on the powder.

I have no experience with the model of smokepole you mentioned.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Somerset County)

You don't say what you plan to do with it. If you plan to hunt, be sure to check the hunting regs for season rules. There are 2 seasons for smokepoles, the after Christmas one is flintlock only and other restrictions, the October season is any muzzleoader.

Can't help you much more than that as I have shot them a bit, but not enough to be comfortable offering advice.

Dale

(Franklin County)

same one i bought love it. just clean it often during use. lube it when storing it. sight it in early and follow the directions when sighting it in i use a 245 grain bullet. i use sabots , dont like the power belts
    In God We Trust............................

(Cumberland County)

If you're handy and want a bit of a project to boot, check out the muzzle loader kits that Cabelas sells. They are Hawken rifles with either a flint or perc cap external lock.

All of the major inletting is CNC machined, and the stock is rough shaped. Minimal sanding was needed to finish the contours on the stock. The brass is wax cast and does require some work with a file and sand paper. The screws that it comes with are crap, so get nice brass ones from the local hardware store.

This is the one that I put together in the spring of 2010
    http://www.kirbos.net/web_pictures/hawken.large.jpg
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown