Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default First time gun owner- questions about concealed carry

Just got my first gun for Christmas- semi-auto handgun. I've never owned one in my lifetime, but I have shot my fair share of them. I am not a hunter so the only purpose I have for it are recreational plinking, home defense, and the occasional carry for fishing and hikes in the woods (mountain lions in woods- I've seen them, and do not want to seem them to ever get any closer.) also, the gun is currently in my fathers name, because it was a gift- therefore he had to buy it in his name. I know that I will need to transfer it into my name at some point.

No matter how much research I do, I always feel like I am missing something. I have no intention of walking down Main Street with it strapped to my side, but I would like to be able to transport in a vehicle. According to this site, I would need to have a concealed carry permit to do so. I just want to verify this.

Another question- when carrying the firearm in the woods for one of those 'just in case moments', would I need a hunting license?

I'm really excited about this whole thing, but once again, the wording on some of the laws can kind of confuse me.

Thanks,
    Joe

(Delaware County)

Default Re: First time gun owner- questions about concealed carry

1: PA doesnt have Concealed Carry Permits, we have LTCF, License to Carry Firearms. It allows you many things, one of them the ability to carry concealed or in a vehicle. It also allows you to carry (Open Carry) in Phila (everywhere else in PA, Open Carry is legal without LTCF), carry during a declared state of emergency, allows you to accept a firearm lending by someone, etc.

2. PA doesn't have Firearm registration. It's actually illegal. The only "name" the firearm is in would be the sales database which by law should be deleted within 72 hours by the state police. (They don't and maintain it as an illegal registry).

Since the firearm is your dad's, he can gift it or sell it to you without the need to go through an FFL or Sheriff (No transfer needed between spouses, parent/child or grandparent/grandchildren)

I'll let someone else comment on the hunting thing..

Read the stickies posted on the forum They most likely answer anything you want to know, if not, then just ask!

I learn something new everyday on here!

OH Yea...

WELCOME!!!!!!
    Last edited by BimmerJon; December 27th, 2010 at 12:57 AM.

(Venango County)

Alright, I gotcha. So in other words, the only thing I will need will be a PA LTCF?

And if I do not need to go through the Sheriff's office for a transfer, then...the gun is basically mine now? no official paperwork needs to be done?

(Venango County)

Hate to post two in a row, but I just stumbled across this-

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

1. Offense defined. -- Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    2. Exceptions. -- The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

SOURCE: http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss6106

Since the only reason I will be transporting the gun will be to and from places for target practice, this means that I would be an exception to requiring a license?
    Last edited by joeyd71; December 27th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Why not get your LTCF so you don't have to worry about being an exception?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd71 View Post

1. Offense defined. -- Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

Since the only reason I will be transporting the gun will be to and from places for target practice, this means that I would be an exception to requiring a license?
    Just get the license if you are 21yo. They are only $20(statutory) to $48(illegal rate). Then you will never have to worry about breaking the law. They are easy to get, only one page form to fill out. No hoops of fire, no giving a dog or pony a blow job in a dog & pony show, no bending over to take a hard one..

If you are under 21yo and cant get a PA LTCF, you can get a Maine permit, then get a NH permit with that Maine permit - then you will be covered in PA. Without any license/permit you will be strictly limited to where you can transport a handgun to/from.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd71 View Post

SOURCE: http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss6106

Just get your LTCF, life will be SO much easier...

Without a LTCF, yes, you can transport it in a vehicle, BUT... it has to be unloaded and you have to go DIRECTLY, and I mean DIRECTLY to/from the range (in your scenario). Can't stop at the supermarket or visit Aunt Betty's house.

With a LTCF, you can carry it loaded in a vehicle and on your person and you don't have to worry about going directly to/from

(Venango County)

You're right, that's pretty silly to worry about what I can and cannot do without the LTCF....looks like I'll be making a visit to the sheriffs this week.

How long is the license valid for? Or does this depend on the county in which you apply for it? And does anybody happen to know how much it costs in Venango County?

Also, I appreciate everybody helping me out with this.

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Welcome to the forum and to gun ownership. I concur with the prevailing sentiment of getting your LTCF. It just makes everything easier and removes doubts about where, when, how, ect. Also, be careful about crossing state lines with a firearm, there are ways to do it and ways that will get you locked up. Till you learn you might want to refrain from leaving the state with a firearm. Your local state repersentative's office should be able to supply you with a booklet on PA firearm laws, probably the Sheriff's Office as well....get one. It will have all the laws of PA and firearms.

Right now it all seems a little overwhelming but it's not as complicated as it seems. You'll get the hang of it if you read up. You found a great site for your start, PAFOA.

And just to reiterate, your gun has been "gifted" by a parent. You have no legal responsibility to do anything in accepting the gift. Assuming your not a prohibited person you are now the legal owner of the gun. But surely you'll want to be thanking your father! By the way, what did you get!?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast