Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugar SR40

(York County)

Default Rugar SR40

I am new to this forum. I just go my LCTF last week. I've had a Rugar 44 mag Super Redhawk I've used for years to hunt with but it's just a little too big to CC with. In the near future I plan on buying a new semi pistol. I don't want to get into spending $1000. I've been looking at the Rugar SR40 40 cal.
    I like how it looks and for the most part it has a lot of good reviews. Does anybody on here have one or have an opinion on it.

Default Re: Rugar SR40

It is Ruger.

For the same price, you can get a new Glock, M&P, or a used HK. I, personally, do not like Ruger semi's, but who am I?
    Last edited by harold63; December 26th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    It is Ruger.
    you did ask for an opinion so this is what you get... i own a sr9 and have shot the sr40... never had a problem with my so called "problematic" sr9... the sr40 i shot had no problems what soever... the weight of the slide tames the recoils snappiness down alot... if i had the money id like t get my hands on it when they come out with the sr40c...

if you want real info instead of opinions like above check out RugerForum.com... there is a guy on there named josh hearne... he has alot of info on the sr9(c) and they are starting with the 40... if you have questions they are the guys to go to... good luck with your purchase ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    you did ask for an opinion so this is what you get... i own a sr9 and have shot the sr40... never had a problem with my so called "problematic" sr9... the sr40 i shot had no problems what soever... the weight of the slide tames the recoils snappiness down alot... if i had the money id like t get my hands on it when they come out with the sr40c...

if you want real info instead of opinions like above check out RugerForum.com... there is a guy on there named josh hearne... he has alot of info on the sr9(c) and they are starting with the 40... if you have questions they are the guys to go to... good luck with your purchase ...
    I was merely informing the op that it is spelled R-U-G-E-R. I'm fortunate in that I have been able to purchase or trade for quite a number of firearms, and I own some Rugers. I didn't say they were problematic, I simply said I do not like their semi's. Once I procure a pistol, it becomes like my little child in that even if I don't like it at times, I love them all just the same.

The Ruger .22 semi's are a different story, altogether.
    Last edited by harold63; December 26th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

(Bucks County)

the sr9 had a few teething issues when it was first introduced a few years ago but ruger has fixed those issues and from what i understand the sr9 is a great pistol. i'm sure the sr40 is equally reliable so i wouldn't hesitate to buy one except you may want to wait until ruger comes out with a compact model which will be more suitable for concealed carry.

i don't own a sr9 but i do own a p90 and p94 and both have been 100% reliable and just as accurate as any of my other guns including my HK and SIG. a lot of people still harbor a lot of hatred towards ruger due to the late bill rugers involvement with condemning civilian ownership of hi cap mags and military style weapons. bill ruger's dead and gone and those in charge of the company have taken it in a totally new direction producing pistols that take hi cap mags, selling hi cap mags for the mini14 and 30 and producing a piston AR15 for civilian consumption.

i wouldn't hesitate to buy any ruger product since ruger has changed their mindset when it comes to hi cap mags and military style firearms. in my opinion ruger is just as good as any glock and i prefer pistols with manual safeties especially for folks new to firearms. take the time to handle the sr40 and see how it feels in your hand, if you can rent the sr40 or sr9 to see how they shoot. also handle a few other pistols since you might find them more comfortable then the ruger. good luck with your search
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 26th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.

(York County)

I've heard that the SR40c (the compact model) may come out sometime in the first quarter of 2011. I was hoping to make my purchase in January. I've compared the SR9 and the SR9c. The difference in size is less than an inch. I've nevered CC'd before but I guess that small difference in size could still be better. The other thing I noticed is that when getting the compact models you end up with a smaller capacity magazine. So is it worth the wait for less than an inch in size and sacraficing extra rounds?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I was merely informing the op that it is spelled R-U-G-E-R. I'm fortunate in that I have been able to purchase or trade for quite a number of firearms, and I own some Rugers. I didn't say they were problematic, I simply said I do not like their semi's. Once I procure a pistol, it becomes like my little child in that even if I don't like it at times, I love them all just the same.

The Ruger .22 semi's are a different story, altogether.
    sorry man... i completely missed the spelling error so i thought you like many others here were bashing ruger... all of the rugers ive fired recently have been nothing but perfect..

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Hunter View Post
    I've heard that the SR40c (the compact model) may come out sometime in the first quarter of 2011. I was hoping to make my purchase in January. I've compared the SR9 and the SR9c. The difference in size is less than an inch. I've nevered CC'd before but I guess that small difference in size could still be better. The other thing I noticed is that when getting the compact models you end up with a smaller capacity magazine. So is it worth the wait for less than an inch in size and sacraficing extra rounds?
    my opinion on this is, its all up to you.. the extra inch that you get in both the grip and slide can make a world of difference depending on your body type.. for me it will make a huge difference... and im confident enough that i can get the job done with the smaller mag... its up to you... if a lived colse id let ya shoot the sr9 to get a feel for the frame since they are basicly the same..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    sorry man... i completely missed the spelling error so i thought you like many others here were bashing ruger... all of the rugers ive fired recently have been nothing but perfect..

No worries.

(Allegheny County)

i have both sizes of 9, they are both very comfortable in the hand and shoot well, the C has only a 10 shot mag versus the M&P's 12 shot mag. the mags appear to be almost identical, except that the catch cutouts are in different places. you could use one in the other is you make the proper cuts.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Lackawanna County)

I CCW a SR9 everyday, all day. From the moment I wake till i go to bed it's tucked in my waistband. I just put a SR9c on layaway for my wife. I've shot the .40 and liked the 9mm better. I know I'm gonna catch flak for saying this, but I like my Ruger better than the Colt 1911 I carried everyday for 4 years not to say I wouldn't love to have another 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast